Welcome back to Tribal Apocalypse!
Table of Contents
- Last Week on Tribal Apocalypse...
- The High Price of Winning
- Announcement Time!
- What's Next
Check the full archive for the "Diaries of the Apocalypse" series
THOUGHTS OF A TRIBAL HOST
So, time to choose what to do about the upcoming 2017 monthly rotation of subformats. So please vote here your favorite option:
The option "Keep Pure but revise it to make it more stable" refers to a revision still to elaborate, but roughly it may mean, for instance, to decide for a fixed ban list and go with it all year long (emergencies notwithstanding) in place of the ongoing purification process, thus allowing a more clear meta to build for, while also avoiding to have players spend tix for expensive stuff that will end up banned two months later. We could also decide Pure is a "no Human, no Elf, no Goblin" event. Not sure it makes sense to call "Pure Tribal" a subformat that excludes the most classic of tribes, though.
We'll close the voting December 31. We'll have all January to decide anyway, because the third Saturday of January (Jan 21) is reserved for Invitational. The discarded format will come back in a couple of special events during month with five Saturdays.
LAST WEEK ON TRIBAL APOCALYPSE...
- Event Number: 6.48, Week 309 BE
- Date: December 3
- Attendance: 13
- Rounds: 3
- Subformat: Underdog
- Winner: Socanelas (Plant)
- Other undefeated: MisterMojoRising (Lizard)
- 1 Loss: Robin88 (Plant), ML_Berlin (Specter), BrunoDogma (Rat), Michelle_Wong (Sphinx), Golden_Lin (Kobold)
- True Underdog Prize: Generalissimo (Fox)
- Tribes: Fox, Kobold, Lizard, Minotaur, Mutant, Plant (x2), Rat, Scarecrow, Soltari, Specter, Sphinx, Weird
- Event link (with all players, pairings, standings, decks, and results): here it is
Socanelas is still going strong, having now won three events in a row, four in five weeks. Mihahitlor better come back to defend his 1st place in the season leaderboard. The latest triumph came with Plants, that have become one force to be reckoned with in Underdog, and now they are now close to the number of victories accumulated by their parent tribe, Wall.
MisterMojoRising tried his best to stop Socanelas, but in the end his Lizard combo deck couldn't do it.
A list that underperformed in general but it's just too brilliant to pass is AJ_Impy's Minotaur. Any time I see a deck centered on a card like Zedruu the Greathearted, I feel compelled to feature it. Cow power!
THE HIGH PRICE OF WINNING
Here's the prices of all the featured decks, courtesy of the amazing Deck Pricer from mtgGoldfish (MTGO Traders prices as of December 8, 2016):
The Top 10 Cheapest Decks that Went Undefeated
- mihahitlor's Warriors, $1.95, 1st place on Event 233
- morpphling's Vampires, $2.25, 1st place on Event 285
- morpphling's Goblins, $2.35, 2nd place on Event 102
- JogandoPelado's Berserkers, $2.80, 1st place on Event 248
- Gq1rf7's Goblins, $3.32, 1st place on Event 154
- MisterMojoRising's Insects, $3.55, 2nd place on Event 201
- Gq1rf7's Goblins, $3.58, 1st place on Event 169
- Gq1rf7's Goblins, $3.70, 1st place on Event 145
- Gq1rf7's Goblins, $4.12, 2nd place on Event 141
- Gq1rf7's Assassins, $4.18, 1st place on Event 147
NOTE: not adjusted to current prices; data collected since Event 85. A separate non-Goblin Top 10 is in preparation.
Just to remind you of a few things:
The Ishkanah Prize: The first player to win a match with a Spider deck by activating Ishkanah's lifedraining ability for a lethal strike of at least 4 damage, will get a 3-tix credit certificate from MTGO Traders. Spider lovers, or simply ticket lovers, start building!
The Underdog Prize: During any event of the regular rotation (but not during the one-time special events), all players who are running an Underdog Tribe are eligible for a 1-tix credit certificate from MTGO Traders. The tie-breakers are first the number of Underdog categories (for instance, a tribe that's simultaneously Endangered and Unhallowed will take the prize over one that's only Endangered), then the points achieved in the final standings. During Underdog events, only the True Underdog tribes are rewarded (those are the tribes belonging to all three categories of Underdog at once).
The Up-and-Coming Prize: When a tribe wins an event for the first time ever (losing Unhallowed status), its pilot will get a 3-tix certificate from MTGO Traders.
The Hamtastic Award: The Biodiversity Prize dedicated to the memory of Erik Friborg has started the fourth quarter of 2016. The quarter will end December 24. By that date, the player or players who registered the greatest number of different tribes (except Human, Elf and Goblin) will get a 5-tix certificate from MTGO Traders. Next year, the rules of the contest will change.
The Top Players Lockout: Every time a Top Player (either a Google Era Top 8, an Ultimate Champion/Tribal Player of the Year, or a seasonal Top 8) will end undefeated, they will not be allowed to register the same tribe and deck again for 5 events (i.e. they'll have to register a different deck or decks 5 times before coming back to the undefeated one). With "deck" is meant a specific, recognizable archetype (e.g. Wall-Drazi), which in some case will be linked to a specific combo card (e.g. Helm of Obedience). A list of the current lockouts is maintained here.
Wanna test your deck? Tell us when you're online, and look who else is there and when! All of this here!
The upcoming Tribal Apocalypse events of the Blippian Era (every Saturday at 17:00 GMT):
- 6.49 (Week 310 BE), on December 10: Regular
- 6.50 (Week 311 BE), on December 17: Pure
- 6.51 (Week 312 BE), on December 24: Regular
Check out all the rules for the sub-formats!
Check out the full Tribal Calendar for 2016!
SEE YOU ALL IN THE TRIBAL ROOM!