Welcome back to Tribal Apocalypse!
Table of Contents
- Last Week on Tribal Apocalypse...
- The High Price of Winning
- Announcement Time!
- What's Next
Check the full archive for the "Diaries of the Apocalypse" series
THOUGHTS OF A TRIBAL HOST
So, there it is, the new and improved ban list for Pure events, with any tribe that has won at least 5 events contributing one card every 5 events (rounded down). Keep in mind those cards aren't banned only for that tribe; they're banned for EVERYBODY. They're just damaging that tribe more. When a tribe reaches the right quota, a new card is added to the list (for instance: Elf's next win will put the tribe at 30, triggering a new ban). That card will have to be related to the tribe somehow, but not necessarily something the winning deck was running.
- Contributed by Human (47 wins, 9 cards): Brainstorm, Champion of the Parish, Delver of Secrets, Fireblast, Helm of Obedience, Lightning Bolt, Mother of Runes, Snapcaster Mage, Swords to Plowshares
- Contributed by Elf (29 wins, 5 cards): Berserk, Elvish Archdruid, Inkmoth Nexus, Priest of Titania, Wirewood Symbiote
- Contributed by Goblin (23 wins, 4 cards): Aether Vial, Goblin Chieftain, Goblin Matron, Goblin Warchief
- Contributed by Vampire (11 wins, 2 cards): Gatekeeper of Malakir, Hymn to Tourach
- Contributed by Shaman (10 wins, 2 cards): Dark Depths, Rage Forger
- Contributed by Knight (9 wins, 1 card): Knight Exemplar
- Contributed by Cat (8 wins, 1 card): Path to Exile
- Contributed by Kor (8 wins, 1 card): Batterskull
- Contributed by Wall (8 wins, 1 card): Overgrown Battlement
- Contributed by Wizard (8 wins, 1 card): Dark Confidant
- Contributed by Merfolk (7 wins, 1 card): True-Name Nemesis
- Contributed by Plant (7 wins, 1 card): Green Sun's Zenith
- Contributed by Eldrazi (6 wins, 1 card): Eye of Ugin
- Contributed by Ally (5 wins, 1 card): Kabira Evangel
- Contributed by Archon (5 wins, 1 card): Entomb
- Contributed by Berserker (5 wins, 1 card): Punishing Fire
- Contributed by Kithkin (5 wins, 1 card): Spectral Procession
- Contributed by Scout (5 wins, 1 card): Scapeshift
- Contributed by Soldier (5 wins, 1 card): Thalia's Lieutenant
- Contributed by Soltari (5 wins, 1 card): Honor of the Pure
- Contributed by Zombie (5 wins, 1 card): Gray Merchant of Asphodel
Plus the Swords of X and Y (a thought: banning them everywhere? Just for the sheer elegance of not putting them here randomly. They're currently allowed only in Regular, and I don't think they're played much anyway). Previously banned in Pure and now unbanned: Ball Lightning, Counterspell, Greater Gargadon, Griselbrand. It's basically the list that Bazaar of Baghdad kindly compiled a few weeks ago, with a few tweaks. Notable cards that are banned but weren't before: Berserk, Helm of Obedience, Overgrown Battlement, Priest of Titania, Scapeshift, Thalia's Lieutenant.
In other, related news: Animate Dead and Dance of the Dead are now fixed, therefore unbanned. Magmasaur still remains temporarily banned for the time being.
LAST WEEK ON TRIBAL APOCALYPSE...
- Event Number: 7.05, Week 318 BE
- Date: February 11
- Attendance: 19
- Rounds: 4
- Subformat: Regular
- Winner: AJ_Impy (Construct)
- 1 Loss: MisterMojoRising (Goblin), ML_Berlin (Berserker), littlefield (Human), pokemonych (Human)
- Underdog Prize: Generalissimo (Boar)
- Tribes: Berserker, Boar, Construct (x2), Elf, Goblin (x2), Golem, Human (x5), Merfolk, Monk, Shaman, Soltari, Wall, Warrior
- Event link (with all players, pairings, standings, decks, and results): here it is
First win of the year for AJ_Impy with his Constructs. And yeah, Walking Ballista is pretty devastating.
Our list-compiler Bazaar of Baghdad did good, not great with these Monks. Is Monk not strong enough for Regular events, even with the help of off-tribe combos like the Helm plus the flavorful meta-call Rest in Peace?
What's certainly not strong enough for Regular: Boar. That doesn't stop Generalissimo for playing with Swine Reanimator. That's the spirit!
THE HIGH PRICE OF WINNING
Here's the prices of all the featured decks, courtesy of the amazing Deck Pricer from mtgGoldfish (MTGO Traders prices as of February 17, 2016):
The Top 10 Cheapest Decks that Went Undefeated
- mihahitlor's Warriors, $1.95, 1st place on Event 233
- morpphling's Vampires, $2.25, 1st place on Event 285
- morpphling's Goblins, $2.35, 2nd place on Event 102
- JogandoPelado's Berserkers, $2.80, 1st place on Event 248
- Gq1rf7's Goblins, $3.32, 1st place on Event 154
- MisterMojoRising's Insects, $3.55, 2nd place on Event 201
- Gq1rf7's Goblins, $3.58, 1st place on Event 169
- Gq1rf7's Goblins, $3.70, 1st place on Event 145
- Gq1rf7's Goblins, $4.12, 2nd place on Event 141
- Gq1rf7's Assassins, $4.18, 1st place on Event 147
NOTE: not adjusted to current prices; data collected since Event 85. A separate non-Goblin Top 10 is in preparation.
Just to remind you of a few things:
The Ishkanah Prize: The first player to win a match with a Spider deck by activating Ishkanah's lifedraining ability for a lethal strike of at least 4 damage, will get a 3-tix credit certificate from MTGO Traders. Spider lovers, or simply ticket lovers, start building!
The Underdog Prize: During any event of the regular rotation (but not during the one-time special events), all players who are running an Underdog Tribe are eligible for a 1-tix credit certificate from MTGO Traders. The tie-breakers are first the number of Underdog categories (for instance, a tribe that's simultaneously Endangered and Unhallowed will take the prize over one that's only Endangered), then the points achieved in the final standings. During Underdog events, only the True Underdog tribes are rewarded (those are the tribes belonging to all three categories of Underdog at once).
The Up-and-Coming Prize: When a tribe wins an event for the first time ever (losing Unhallowed status), its pilot will get a 3-tix certificate from MTGO Traders.
The New Kids on the Block Award: When a new tribe is introduced in the game, or reaches enough members to be played as a proper tribe (i.e. at least 3 members, so you can build a deck that features 4 copies of each plus 8 Changeling creatures), the first player to score a match win with it will get a 3-tix certificate from MTGO Traders. You'll need a hard win, not a BYE or a win by no-show of your opponent. The tribes currently eligible for the award are Gremlin and Monkey.
The Hamtastic Award: The Biodiversity Prize dedicated to the memory of Erik Friborg rewards each player who registers 10 different tribes (except Human, Elf and Goblin) during the year with a 3-tix certificate from MTGO Traders. You can go on and win the prize multiple times in the year, but you need to keep playing different tribes! (So if you manage to register 50 different tribes in one season, you can get up to 15 tix!)
The Top Players Lockout: Every time a Top Player (either a Google Era Top 8, an Ultimate Champion/Tribal Player of the Year, or a seasonal Top 8) will end undefeated, they will not be allowed to register the same tribe and deck again for 5 events (i.e. they'll have to register a different deck or decks 5 times before coming back to the undefeated one). With "deck" is meant a specific, recognizable archetype (e.g. Wall-Drazi), which in some case will be linked to a specific combo card (e.g. Helm of Obedience). A list of the current lockouts is maintained here.
Wanna test your deck? Tell us when you're online, and look who else is there and when! All of this here!
The upcoming Tribal Apocalypse events of the Blippian Era (every Saturday at 17:00 GMT):
- 7.06 (Week 319 BE), on February 18: Pure
- 7.07 (Week 320 BE), on February 25: Regular
- 7.08 (Week 321 BE), on March 4: Underdog
- 7.09 (Week 322 BE), on March 11: Regular
Check out all the rules for the sub-formats!
Check out the full Tribal Calendar for 2017!
SEE YOU ALL IN THE TRIBAL ROOM!