DaveLombardoJr's picture
By: DaveLombardoJr, Fernando Gutiérrez
Nov 11 2010 3:20am

With I think it was a nice draft, I looked out to my cards and built this beautiful deck:

Infect!

10 Swamp
17 cards

Sideboard
1 Acid Web Spider
1 cards
Plague Stinger

With my hopes high, my first match started, and I really thought that I could take this one down.

Round 1

Game 1

Evil won the die roll, chose to play first and kept his opening seven while we decided to keep this hand:

[T: 1] Evil open up with a mountain and no play at all while we [D: Moriok Replica] play our swamp and pass.

[T: 2] Evil plays a plains and forges a Nim Deathmantle. [D: Plague Stinger] We play our forest and summon the Plague Stinger

[T: 3] Evil plays a Mountain and cast (Snapail Glider) meanwhile [D: Swamp] we play our swamp attack with our Stinger [E: 20, Poison 1] and summon a Cystbearer

[T: 4] Evil plays a 3rd Mountain and cast Auriok Replica with no other play we [D: Swamp] played our swamp, forge our Trigon and bash with our infect guys. Evil blocked our Stinger with his active Glider and let our Bearer get through, after thinking for a while we decide pump the Cystbearer [E: 20, Poison 6]

[T: 5] Evil plays a plains, bashes us with glider [DL: 19] and passes the turn with no other play while we [D: Swamp] play our swamp forge the Bladed Pinions equip the Cystbearer with them and try to break the wind, but Evil sacrifice his Replica to prevent the damage and activate his Deathmantle trigger to get him back.

[T: 6] Evil bashes again with everything [DL: 14] plays a plains and passes. [D: Swamp] we play our land and summon the Moriok Replica and a Contagious Nim .

[T: 7] Evil summons the Myrsmith and attacks us with Glider, we decide to block with Cystbearer and evil decided that heaven can wait while reanimating the glider via Nim Deathmantle. [D: Plague Stinger #2] we summoned the Stinger and equiped the nim with the pinions, before sending him to the red zone, Evil decided to block with his glider and before damage we pumped the nim which didn’t die because of pinion’s first strike.

[T: 8] Evil draws and concedes right away.

Sideboard: None.

Game 2

On my second match I fell asleep and lost because of inactivity so I felt bad right away for that, so it was awful. Anyways the deck performed nice in the few games that I played and I hope to continue drafting this format for you my readers to know what to draft and what possibles archetypes apart from what we know right know (Infect, Metalcraft) are viable and most importantly for your entretainment.

Happy Drafting

Fernando Gutiérrez

Haha by StumblingMonkey at Thu, 11/11/2010 - 05:29
StumblingMonkey's picture

Lol @ "On my second match I fell asleep and lost " Yep, I've totally done that before. Beer, It's a killer.

Your draft seemed to go very by StealthBadger at Thu, 11/11/2010 - 06:16
StealthBadger's picture

Your draft seemed to go very well. I don't think I've ever been brave enough to go for infect from the very first pick, so congratulations.

The only picks I'd quibble over were P2P7 and P3P1 where I think you could have picked untamed might up much more aggressively. Also, P2P1 I'd've taken consuming darkness over the trigon, but that's probably more debatable.

On a note aimed as much at the site as the author though; Is this really enough content to bother posting as an article? It's a draft followed by one full game report, a second game report which reads;
"This one MTGO didn’t record but it was something like Turn 2 Stinger Turn 3 Nim turn 4 Trigon attack you for 7 turn 5 throne of geth and concession. It was a fast game indeed and it was nice to see my deck was doing so good."
and then an admission that you fell asleep after that.

To my mind, this is pretty low on content to qualify as an article..

Personally I never read the by JMason at Thu, 11/11/2010 - 08:10
JMason's picture

Personally I never read the game reports. What I want to see is the draft simulator, seeing the draft as you did and learning from your picks. What is missing from most draft reports that I'd like to see is a very obvious one sentence game summary of the deck performance at the end, something along the lines of :

"This deck went 1-0 in matches, I felt it would have been strong enough for 3-0 if I'd played out all the matches".

At the end of the day the two things I want to take from reading any draft report are:
1) how strong did you think the archetype you drafted would be relative to the packs you saw, and
2) how did it perform relative to expectation

Great deck, solid draft - by TwoHands at Thu, 11/11/2010 - 13:09
TwoHands's picture

Great deck, solid draft - just some comments from a guy who's drafted a bunch of infect recently:

Pinions is strictly OK in the best infect decks - the tempo disadvantage can be terrible, because at heart infect is a tempo deck (essentially, aggro where all your creatures have double strike). I can't see any way in which I'd pick it over Might or Cystbearer - for your deck, I think Might was just better. The problem with Pinions is that by the time you can start sending one guy at a time over the top, decks often have a way to deal with either the creature or the equipment, and it turns on all of the opponent's artifact removal (and there's a ton).

Also, P2P1, I'd probably take Grasp (my first removal at that point) over Trigon, even with 2 Stingers - you couldn't know you'd pick up 2 more stingers, and removal is so important to infect. I can't fault the pick, but I'd be worried ... there aren't many gifts like the Grasps you got out there, haha.

I feel like I'd take Painsmith every time (even forcing infect) over the Goblin P1P2 - Blackcleave just kind of sucks, and nobody on Earth would consider a pick-3 Goblin a signal to go infect, while Painsmith is incredible with Stingers and when the board clogs, letting you trade your crappy Gray Ogres for bigger/better men.

Also, you picked up a bunch of Tainted Strikes and played one - try to prioritize Molder Beasts higher if Strikes are wheeling, as Beast gets ridiculous with Strike. Plus, you really didn't have anything to Strike up - if you attack with Replica, for instance, they're going to block if Strike matters, because you've telegraphed it.

Finally, Throne of Geth is rough in a deck with 6 artifacts - I'd probably rather take Nim there (because I wouldn't have Pinions, and Vector Asp isn't a very good man). The Throne can be excellent, but in your deck at that point, I think I'd rather try for a critical mass of infect dudes and not worry about "reach" when I'm not sure I'll have enough artifacts to give more than one counter. If you had a Clasp or something too, then the calculus changes entirely.

On the whole though, good draft man - hope my ideas make some sense, I think there's still a lot to figure out in infect. Thanks for posting! 2H

My issue here is that there by TheRegularGangster at Thu, 11/11/2010 - 16:32
TheRegularGangster's picture

My issue here is that there is NO WAY this is an 8-4 . . . to me it looks like a swiss queue. Tabling Cystbearers and Ichor Rats? Ridiculous!

Pretty subpar draft article. by Odindusk at Thu, 11/11/2010 - 17:19
Odindusk's picture

Pretty subpar draft article. Hardly any substance at all. One screenshot. "I forced Infect. I went 1-0, drop. Thanks for reading."

suspicious by Gordo789 at Mon, 11/15/2010 - 18:36
Gordo789's picture

Have to echo some of the other criticisms here. I'd say you lucked out and basically got handed a not bad infect deck that you won a match with. Congratulations? I had a hard time watching you pick blackcleave goblin over acid web spider to "force" infect and then (quite outrageously) the spider tables, only reinforcing your bad habit. In pack 1, the signals you send are nowhere near as important as the signals you receive, since if things dry up in pack 2 they'll just be back in pack 3, and honestly, nobody is going to see what is arguably the worst infect creature and decide they're going to force infect based on it.