jake_antonetz's picture

Today's Deck list

Deck Tech

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Summary:

If you need to play block and you have the taste for blue decks, this is definitely one I would recommend. Just remember block constructed is a very clunky format this time around. So many decks lean heavily on so few cards in specific matchups and it is abysmal if you draw them in the wrong order. That said, this deck is probably the best intersection of consistency and power in my opinion, and it should give you a good shot at taking down most given tournaments.

Next week I plan to bring some MTGO cube goodness to the forefront. I was fortunate enough to play in a Darksteel Cube by Thea Steele; and it was a ton of fun. As always, I welcome constructive criticism on the above video article; as well as input on what you want from my future articles.

Thank you for your time!

Contact Me Twitter - @jakeantonetz

Email - Jake_antonetz@yahoo.com

MTGO - Agur

I'm normally a block fan, but by char49d at Fri, 07/15/2011 - 15:47
char49d's picture

I'm normally a block fan, but this block was just terrible (not you or your videos fault). The mana fixing in block is so limited it just makes for a boring format, all the best decks are either mono-colored or two colors playing wellspring control.

Not ever block is destined to have 5 color cascade, but this is the worst fixing I can remember, and it makes for some boring strategies compounded by cards like dismember.

He mentions it a little in his videos, but since he plays well and topdecks like a champ, you might not get how awkward Sphinx-Control decks can be. If you draw the wrong cards at the wrong time, which happens frequently, you will just lose. When you get the Wellspring/Lands hand vs Aggro or the Zenith/Sabotage hand vs Control it is quite miserable.

Agreed... by jake_antonetz at Fri, 07/15/2011 - 20:22
jake_antonetz's picture

Agreed on pretty much all you say here; but I don't understand who you are referencing by "he" here (unless another comment was deleted or some such thing). As I said in the videos and in the article the format is extremely clunky overall and not a personal favorite.

Thank you for the comment.

Great videos by jeremy812 at Sat, 07/16/2011 - 14:54
jeremy812's picture

Thanks for the quality video commentary. I learned a bit. I hope to see this deck against the other two decks sometime.

Hey Jake, I'd love to see you by Disil at Sun, 07/17/2011 - 20:40
Disil's picture

Hey Jake, I'd love to see you run some UW Control in Standard once M12 is out. I'm really intrigued to see how the deck will perform with Oblivion Ring and all the other interesting additions M12 might provide.

Regarding this article, quality stuff as always, tho I have to say that I was a bit bored sometimes. I guess that's the formats fault and not yours since I really enjoy being guided through a deck and an event by you.

Thank you by jake_antonetz at Sun, 07/17/2011 - 22:06
jake_antonetz's picture

Yeah I probably will go over cawblade once m12 comes out online :D. One of my favorite decks. If you mean actual UW control I may go over that too.

I indeed referred to UW by Disil at Mon, 07/18/2011 - 12:59
Disil's picture

I indeed referred to UW Control, much along the lines of what Andrew Roystan used at PTQ Columbus, but including M12 stuff (deck can be found 2nd from the top at http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/td/151 ).

But hell..you can do cawblade too. Seeing how much you love(d) the deck that'll surely make for some good videos. :)

advice for next time by mperetti at Tue, 07/19/2011 - 01:55
mperetti's picture

First off, I really like all your videos, you've turned into "must-see" content for me each week. I just wanted to suggest that next time you go through replays (which I actually appreciate since it takes way less time to watch), you go ahead and queue up each round before recording, or pause when switching between games. It takes just a little away from the experience when we find out you won game 1 and then see there are only 2 games in the match. Just a bit anti-climactic. Otherwise, great job and keep up the great work.

Thank you by jake_antonetz at Tue, 07/19/2011 - 10:03
jake_antonetz's picture

Thank you for thoughts, that sounds like a perfectly reasonable way to make these vids run smoother. I will implement it :D.