JXClaytor's picture
By: JXClaytor, Joshua Claytor
Jun 01 2009 11:05pm

Good evening to all of you reading this!  It's with great pride that I present to you the top ten decks of the All Star KScope Contest!  Now before I get to the top ten decks, hand selected by myself and Andrew Nelms, I want to thank everyone of you for participating in this contest!  A lot of great ideas came about this event, and I think the ten decks that we are going to show off today showcase some of the best and brightest minds in regards to this new format!  In my honest opinion I think you could pick up any one of these decks and run roughshod through any queue that you enter.  Some of these decks are off the wall brilliant, while others are streamlined, deadly and ready to win!  If you're deck did not get picked, please do not take offense, these decks are the top ten in our minds, and you guys will have the power to vote for your favorite, and help that deck win fame, fortune and fabulous prizes!  Fame and Fortune though are not actually prizes, a bounty of booster packs and a set are to be had!

The decks are not going to be in any particular order, and to keep voting far, the person's name who sent it in will not be revealed until after the contest.  We do understand that this is going to be a popularity contest, but we do not want it to be a contest based on the players name alone!  I'm chomping at the bit to show you these lists, so let's get started!

Joshua's Thoughts:  Throughout the contest it was pretty clear that Milling was going to be a popular submission.  You have Glimpse the Unthinkable, Mind Funeral and a host of tools at your disposal to ensure that the opponent's library is reduced to zero, and they lose during their next draw.  Most of these decks had the same core of cards, milling spells which served as the win condtion, and board control, which would remove or counter threats before they could hurt you.  What makes this deck stand out?  Two Words:  Necromancer's Covenant!  Not only have you managed to remove any possible threats in the graveyard, but with this enchantment you suddenly have a second win condition; lifelinked zombies!

Andy's Thoughts:  Coalition Control. That's all there is to say about this list. This list can truly abuse the domain mechanic, having eight five color creatures, as well as Clout of the Dominus to protect them, which just makes it a lot easier to win when you resolve Coalition Victory. If this plan doesn't always work out to it's capability, you do have 4 Exploding Borders, which is great because it thins the deck out of a land and can potentially deal five damage to the opponent. Who doesn't like that?

Joshua's Thoughts:  The cascade mechanic was another heavily submitted building block for the contest.  What this deck in my mind has over the others is the simplicity of design.  It does not try to stretch out it's mana, though it could for cards like Enlisted Wurm and Captured Sunlight.  This deck takes the same mind set from other multi colored aggro decks (Think Jund in Alara Block) Make a solod cost effective man, and disrupt your opponent enough to make sure that your opponent's backfoot stays firmly planted, and they can not get back into the game!

Andy's Thoughts:  This is one of the first lists I have seen that can abuse the new multicolor lord, Knight of New Alara. All of the creatures in this deck are at least two colors with the two drop 'blade' creatures being three colors and topping out at Maelstrom Archangel with all five colors. This deck seems to be a huge threat to others if Knight of New Alara isn't dealt with as it makes every guy in the deck overpowered and undercosted.

Joshua's Thoughts:  I'll admit, I'm a sucker for the Suspend mechanic.  This deck list was unique because it is centered around the underused rare, Jhoira of the Ghitu.  The format feels slower to me than other competitive formats, so the Suspend 4 seems like something that could be overcame with the amount of board control that the deck offers.  Can you imagine suspending Conflux, letting it resolve and then crushing your opponent with Ultimatums, Nicol Bolas, Child of Alara, and if the game is not over then, another Conflux to grab some more cards?  This deck seemed absurd to me!

Andy's Thoughts:   What we see here is the somewhat new Project X combo, where you had a series of creatures and you were going infinite. The deck goes wild with any persist creature, juniper order ranger, and scarland thrinax. The plan for the deck is simple. Get those creatures on the board, make your juniper ranger infinite, and kill them with murderous redcap, or go to infinite life with finks or pump one of men up to an insane size, and equip Mage Slayer!  Which ever way you go, this combo deck seems to be awesome!

Joshua's Thoughts:  We're winding down here as we near ever closer to the final deck.  I'm very impressed with deck.  Momir Vig pretty much says whenever you cast a spell put a creature from your library into your hand!  What makes this even better is the inclussion of Merieke Ri Berit.  This Seasinger can take your opponents best man when you are looking to take control of the game, or it can slowly machine gun style your opponent's dorks!  I love the fact that the deck has tutors to find your super tutor (Of course it should, anything less would be monsterous!) and uses the library in a different way then your opponent.  In fact having Momir in play almost feels like cheating!

Andy's Thoughts:  At first, this deck really didn't appeal to me. I thought I would test it to see the power it withheld.  The ferocity of Ink-Treader Nephillim if you untap with him still in play is insane. Casting any of your spells can be devastating to the opponent. Casting Slave of Bolas on your nephillim to gain control of all creatures on the board and swing back is one of the neater thing that this deck can do.   Who knew this format could feature an Insurrection combo?

Andy's Thoughts:
  Another deck that can abuse the power of AEthermages Touch. This deck also features impromptu raid, which for 3 mana, could hit any of your big creatures such as karrthus, maelstrom archangel, malfegor, and progenitus for starters.  Raid is a cheaty face, and allows you to take advantage of the super powerful creatures you have in the deck!  It also features a neat reanimation effect via Yore-Teller Nephilim. Attacking with him to bring back Karrthus or Archangel just seems nutty.

Joshua's Thoughts:  We're here at deck ten, and while it may be last it's really not least in any sense of the word.  This Bant deck looks to take advantage of Shorecrasher Mimic and beat in for five EVERY TURN!  With cards like Finest Hour, and Rafiq of the Many to give this guy an additional combat step or Double Strike, the games are over quickly with the right draw.  Just about every spell in the deck triggers this guy, but if you can not make him a 5/3, don't worry, you can attack with the first striking Sureblade to really rip through your opponents defenses.  A light countermagic suite looks to help shore (Heh) up any weakness in the deck, and this aggro build looks like it could really turn it up on the opponent!

Below is the poll that has been created to allow you to vote.  We've decided to not place any restrictions on how many times you feel like voting.  However, play fair, we're gonna now if bot is being used, and really that would just ruin the spirit of the competition right?  Voting ends on June 5th at 11:59 ESTpm

Join us next week as we bring you the top ten decks in the budget contest, and talk to the winner of this contest!  Thanks for reading!

Which of the Ten Decks are your favorite?
Deck 1
Deck 2
Deck 3
Deck 4
Deck 5
Deck 6
Deck 7
Deck 8
Deck 9
Deck 10
See Results

lands by Tim (not verified) at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 10:05
Tim's picture

Didnt the description say no rare lands should be in the decks? It seems they all do...
a quote from your article
2. May NOT have any rare lands (no shock lands, no Pillar, no Tribal lands from Lorwyn, you get the picture.)

never mind I read further by Tim (not verified) at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 10:06
Tim's picture

never mind I read further

Lol. I am voting for the only by ElwoodPDowd (not verified) at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 13:43
ElwoodPDowd's picture

Lol. I am voting for the only deck not to have 4 pillar of the Paruns. (and even that deck would probably be better with them - only activating Lich Lord or Mikakoro is slightly more problematic)

I think the raid deck would by Anonymous (not verified) at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 16:44
Anonymous's picture

I think the raid deck would probably be better with pillar, the mana isn't too bad and it makes it hard to use raid.

#3 is just by far the best by Ripley... (not verified) at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 18:02
Ripley...'s picture

#3 is just by far the best build seems to deal with anything the other decks do soo Cheers Builder

Voting is rigged..... by Anonymous (just this once) (not verified) at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 18:49
Anonymous (just this once)'s picture

My deck did actually make Top 10. I will not say which one it is, but ....

What I do know is (and I'm very disappointed I have to say so) that voting is being totally rigged....

Deck nr 1 for instance went from 10 votes to 50 votes in just over 1 hour or so. It was the number one deck atm. Just now I read Ripleys post about deck #3. And what does catch my attention? Wow, deck number 3 went from less then 10 votes to 90 votes! In just 2 hours......wow, nice competition guys!

I understand people want to win, really bad (I do to). But this is just shameless....

Hey, During the time I was by Anonymous (just this once) (not verified) at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 18:52
Anonymous (just this once)'s picture

Hey,

During the time I was writing my comment, deck nr 3 got another 15 votes! Wow, that must really be a great deck,,,,

Too bad all of JXClaytor's and co. efforts to set up this competition go to waste....

How will the best deck win? by the blind pony at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 19:05
the blind pony's picture

"We've decided to not place any restrictions on how many times you feel like voting." ... why?

Probably a question of means. by AJ_Impy at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 19:31
AJ_Impy's picture

Probably a question of means. Short of having people email in votes for their favourite and using that to compile the tally, there in't a readily accessible way of having the poll open to everyone once.

Honestly. by JXClaytor at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 20:51
JXClaytor's picture

I decided not to restrict votes because I trust the human spirit. I understand people want to win, but I also had hopes that people would not abuse the system. If it continues (I check the voting every 30 minutes while I am awake.) I will come up with a new system.

If I have to come up with a new system, I will be very sad.

Fair enough by AJ_Impy at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 13:03
AJ_Impy's picture

The human spirit is a wonderful thing. We tend to pull together in a crisis, and love fairness as a concept.

However, that is tempered by our sense of risk and reward. 'Vote as much as you like, the safety is off' is pretty much an invitation for people to vote as much as they like without fear of retribution or recrimination. The risk is low, the reward is high, there is a strong incentive to reap the benefit of temptation. In addition, given that that is the case, some would abuse the system simply because they believe everyone else is abusing the system, or because the evidence suggests abuse is happening.

Never, ever trust in the human spirit when the outcome benefits one person over all others.

Well, it isn't so much one by Anonymous (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 15:55
Anonymous's picture

Well, it isn't so much one person being sleazy, but the nature of the voting system. It's simple game theory. The result is always better when someone votes as many times as possible. If my opponent votes many times, I am better off if I do as well (I stay even instead of losing). If my opponent doesn't vote many times, I still have a better result by voting over and over (I win as oppose to have an even chance). So I don't blame the people for voting over and over. That's why it was needed to have safeguards against unsportsmanlike action

er ? i just like Jund guy by Ripley... (not verified) at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 21:30
Ripley...'s picture

er ? i just like Jund guy !!! not even my deck seriously ??

A lot of decks were submitted by JXClaytor at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 22:58
JXClaytor's picture

A lot of decks were submitted that shared the same like qualities. The deck presented was the one we picked. Trust me, it's not because we did not like you. The deck presented just pushed itself over the top.

Disapointing by the blind pony at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 21:48
the blind pony's picture

AJ_Impy ... The free poll service Josh and Andy used, offers two types of "anti-cheat" prophylactic. One counts IP addys and the other uses cookies. It'd be simple to create another poll, this time using one of the "anti-cheat" options.

JXClaytor ... I too "trust in the human spirit", but like the top of my 5CC deck, it often disapoints me. I'm sure that most voters placed only one vote (with the spirit of fairness). Unfortunately, it takes only one voter to askew the entire poll.

Obviously some "exceptional" people took advantage of our optimistic size up.

Solution by JXClaytor at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 23:01
JXClaytor's picture

I am going to be relaunching the poll with a security measure in a few moments. I've decided that some people have broken the spirit of the competition, and I really do not want this contest to be decided like that.

Everyone has worked much to hard for this to go down like that.

All previous votes by JXClaytor at Mon, 06/01/2009 - 23:07
JXClaytor's picture

From last night to 1106pm EST have been thrown out. One extra day of voting will happen. Voting will now end at 1159 pm est Saturday June 6th.

Thank you for your understanding and sorry for the inconvenience.

I trust the human spirit by quetzilla at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 00:21
quetzilla's picture

I trust the human spirit too... I trust it to be selfish and dishonest whenever it thinks people aren't watching :).

Thanks for listening by Anonymous (just this once) (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 02:50
Anonymous (just this once)'s picture

@JXClaytor,

Thanks for actually listening to your readers and great job on creating the new poll!

This will make the contest way more fun for everyone!

May the best deck win.....

First of all, let me say that by Epilogue (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 03:09
Epilogue's picture

First of all, let me say that my deck submission was one that was getting alot of votes.

Second of all, let me say that I agree 100% with the decision to change the voting to one vote per person.

When I first read that there was no limit on the number of votes that one person could cast, I was pretty dismayed. I realized immediately that it had become a competition of "who is the most tenacious and can click the most times." It was obvious at that point that other entries had voted for themselves many times, so I started voting for myself and asked some of my friends to vote for me. Being the good friends that they are, they voted alot. Put yourself in my shoes... you have submitted a deck that you honestly think is an outstanding Kaleidoscope deck, and then you realize that others are going to click their way to victory. Would you honestly just stand by and not vote for yourself (or ask others to vote for you)?

All that aside, big thumbs up to JXClaytor for making it a true voting system. I support the decision 100%. And a big thank you to my friends who were voting for me. I hope you'll cast your votes (just once of course!) under the new system. Thanks, and may the best deck win!

vote for #3 by angel sid (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 03:53
angel sid's picture

my vote goes for number 3

honestly, none of these look by Doomhed (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 06:26
Doomhed's picture

honestly, none of these look remotely like the decks that are actually doing well in this format online.

where is the Orzhov midrange decks?

where are the G/R/b aggro?

where are the 5c sweeper decks?

I dont think a single one of these holds a legitimate chance against a well tuned deck in this format

My deck will crush you ;-) by Ult1mate (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 06:40
Ult1mate's picture

@Doomhed:

Please, I'll take on your challenge every second of the day ;-)

If I win, you vote for my deck ok?

Awfully surprising that deck by Epilogue (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 07:11
Epilogue's picture

Awfully surprising that deck #3 wins a heck of a lot of games for me if it doesn't hold a legitimate chance against a well tuned deck...

;)

Vote for #3 by the way!

OK, certainly no sour grapes by Epilogue (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 07:12
Epilogue's picture

OK, certainly no sour grapes or anything here, but I'm going to ask you to take a close look at the votes coming in for deck #10. It just seems unlikely that one deck would be receiving votes at the rate that they're flowing in for that deck.

It'll probably chance as soon by Anonymous (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 07:28
Anonymous's picture

It'll probably chance as soon as people in VS wake up.....its daytime in europe.

Maybe this has got some to do with it?

I doubt it has anything to do by Epilogue (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 07:34
Epilogue's picture

I doubt it has anything to do with Europe. Deck #10 is the only deck that has received any votes for a while now as far as I can tell, and it went from less than 10 votes to 38 votes in a very short period of time. It seems very unlikely that it's happening fairly.

Could be clan member or some by Anonymous (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 07:37
Anonymous's picture

But it's not even possible to vote multiple times right?

It could be some European guy with clan members voting or some....seems legit though.

He has 39 clan members? It's by Epilogue (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 07:40
Epilogue's picture

He has 39 clan members?

It's not supposed to be possible to vote multiple times. I'm betting someone found a way. Just my opinion. It's statistically extremely unlikely for a deck to go from the back of the pack to WAY out in front while the rest of the decks get hardly any votes in the meantime.

When I created this poll, I by JXClaytor at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 12:45
JXClaytor's picture

When I created this poll, I locked down IPs. The ip addresses I am seeing for that deck are coming from multiple parts of the globe.

I am thinking everything seems legit with it.

That isn't necessarily a by AJ_Impy at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 13:12
AJ_Impy's picture

That isn't necessarily a guarantee. The thing to look for is a 'spike' in votes in a very short period of time: It is statistically unlikely that there would be an unprecedented surge in votes for any one candidate in a short space of time. Even if it was a given clan voting, you'd expect to see the votes spread out over time, especially if they truly originated all over the world.

I do want to point out by JXClaytor at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 13:48
JXClaytor's picture

That I can view the votes, I do have the means to detect suspicious voting activities. Any obvious attempts at cheating will be removed from the competition.

Deck 3 by lord_dipstick (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 13:27
lord_dipstick's picture

Deck 3 is solid that is my vote

Most of the decks, if not by Anonymous (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 14:44
Anonymous's picture

Most of the decks, if not all, are solid, thats why the made top 10.

#3 by Dr_TRex at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 13:41
Dr_TRex's picture

The third build is by far the best list offered here... #10 is decent too, but most of the others seem pretty lame...

Far too many of these decks look cobbled together... And a number seem as though they could lose to some of the budget decks I've seen...

Not to be rude, but seriously, where are the good lists? Singleton Nicol Bolas is cute, but Omnibian? really?

I dunno; maybe I was just expecting something more mind-shatteringly awesome...

On the contrary, I would by Lord Erman at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 13:56
Lord Erman's picture

On the contrary, I would expect some creativity in such competitions. #3 is a deck that you can see any day played by anyone anywhere. You can come across it in the casual room as well as in your next Kaleidoscope 2man queue. Sure it can win games as well as tournaments even but is this what you're looking for in such a contest? My answer is no.

I must admit that I very much liked #6. That deck can go infinite in so many different ways. You can gain X life, deal X damage or get an X/X creature. That is something nice, creative and fun.

Oh and no, it isn't my deck in case you wonder. I do have one in there but it definately won't win as it is one of those "pretty lame" ones.

LE

I suppose we were simply by Dr_TRex at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 18:35
Dr_TRex's picture

I suppose we were simply looking for different things in this contest then. Certainly there is space for creativity; I'd just like to see lists that are a tad more optimized than most of these.

Don't get me wrong; most of these look like they'd be a blast to play with; I just can't see most of them standing up to something tourney-quality, and I guess that's just where my expectations were.

deck 3 ftw!!!! by Anonymous (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 14:03

deck 3 ftw!!!!

Deck #1 seems really good by Anonymous (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 14:27
Anonymous's picture

Deck #1 seems really good except for Necromancer's Covenant I say replace that with Mirror Weave, and now you've got a board full of Nemesis of Reason ftw.

Necromancer's Covenant is the by Anonymous (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 14:40
Anonymous's picture

Necromancer's Covenant is the basis of the deck. Without it, you would not really have anything for the mirror weave.. you might have 1-2 zombies from the lich lord, however its still unlikely youd draw both a nemesis of reason, and mirror weave every game after you do have those zombies, then when you use mirror weave, Nemesis will probably just get killed and then mirror weave fizzles. Nemesis is already a heavy target, so its bound to die as soon as the opponents get the chance without adding mirror weave into the mix.

Deck #1 seems pretty by Anonymous (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 14:29
Anonymous's picture

Deck #1 seems pretty versatile for a mill deck. Not only can you attack with the lifelink zombies Joshua mentioned.. but you can also finish milling or cause them to lose life with Lich Lord of Urn, which by himself can create a zombie and mill/cause life loss each turn once youve reached 6 mana. I would say the deck hardly wins via the mill, and usually by the zombies+Lich Lord. Everyone seems to be picking decks (especially #3) without the full understanding of what the other decks can do, it is sad that ppl see a common deck and be like "Yeah, I know that one, lets pick it cause it beat me a few times." or sumthing. Maybe if you have the cards try out some of the decks before actually voting, see how fun they are, what they can do, like Andy had to do for deck #8.

Anyways goodluck to everyone, I hope my thoughts has opened the closed minds of others.

Oh another thing. The by Anonymous (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 14:42
Anonymous's picture

Oh another thing. The enchantment can be played numerous times (if you draw more than 1) for double or even triple lifelink on the zombies, without getting more zombies.

I'll go for deck #10 This is by rayjinn at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 15:04
rayjinn's picture

I'll go for deck #10

This is something i would bring to a kaleidoscope tournament, although i'd sneak-in treetops anyway :P

so in the end... by Tim (not verified) at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 18:44
Tim's picture

Is wizards making a pre con from this?

My Vote by the blind pony at Tue, 06/02/2009 - 21:12
the blind pony's picture

My vote went to the deck that I felt had some thought and creativity behind it. (one of the criteria for this contest) While I hate to speak poorly about any of the decks... build three seems to have built it self. It's a great build and is sure to win many a game (probably more games than most of the other builds), but all the card choices seem kind of obvious. It's your basic aggro deck tweaked for k-scope. I'll paraphrase Josh here... "simplicity of design". Simple designs win many games, but are rarely fun to play or play against.

Anyway, I had a hard time choosing betwixt five and seven. In the end deck five won me over, purley with its fun factor.

It's too bad that this turned by Anonymous (not verified) at Wed, 06/03/2009 - 11:46
Anonymous's picture

It's too bad that this turned out to be a 'how many people can i ask to vote for me', because i really liked the idea of this contest. I'm happy my deck, #9, made it into the voting and hope people pick it up and play with it a little bit, it's a lot of fun. I personally am not going to be telling anyone to go and vote for my deck, since i feel like that's against the spirit of the contest.

#9 is an excellent deck idea by Lord Erman at Wed, 06/03/2009 - 13:25
Lord Erman's picture

#9 is an excellent deck idea but I personally think that it needs some fine tuning. Such as:

1- You don't have to have all the big and scary monsters in the deck. Some of them, which you only have one of, could have been played in multiple copies. For example Angel of Despair. For example Maelstrom Archangel. And to add more of them, I would remove some other monsters such as Malfegor and/or Nicol Bolas.

2- You should have some form of Mass Removal. Why not consider Child of Alara? It comes into play with Impromptu Raid and then goes to the graveyard at the end of turn. As well as everything else on the board. Yours is a form of combo deck (or call it semi-combo if you like) and every such deck needs a reset button. I can't think of a better one than Child of Alara for this deck.

3- Cheating monsters into play is nice but why stop there? Why not cheat to keep them in play? Why not play Turn to Mist? Or Mistmeadow Witch? I haven't tried this but I think that these tricks should work (rules-wise (but maybe they don't work, so try first)). And they work like a charm with "comes into play" creatures... such as Angel of Despair!

4- You could then fill the rest of the deck with cards that can protect yourself. Trial/Error and Teferi's Moat are the first cards that come to my mind.

5- You should also have some form of control over your deck. What will be the top creature card of your deck when you activate Impromtu Raid? How about Congragation at Dawn? You can't find room to add four copies of it to the deck but surely one or two the most, wouldn't hurt.

As I said yours is a great deck idea and I have to say that the more I think about it the more I like it. However it needs some tuning.

Just some thoughts.

LE

It has 3 congregation at by Anonymous (not verified) at Wed, 06/03/2009 - 14:54

It has 3 congregation at dawns in it =P

Deck #9 creator here, I by Anonymous (not verified) at Thu, 06/04/2009 - 15:28

Deck #9 creator here,
I tested a lot of your suggestions and here's why I didn't use them. Not trying to be combative, just thought I'd note that I put a lot of testing and thought into this deck.

Not Enough Monsters- This is what Congregate at Dawn is for. The searcher is also the reason a lot of the creatures are singletons. Also note that there's a sub-theme of reanimation, so even if there's only one copy there's a good chance you might see them come into play more than once.

Board resetters- this is why i included malfegor. I know he's not so great, but I like him better than the Child because he doesn't get rid of my Impromptu Raid.

On the Turn into Mist Issue- I had this in the deck for quite a while, but it simply wasn't useful often enough. Alot of the monsters are really so brutal that they only need to be in play for a turn to do their thing. It was just a dead card too often. Also, please note that the deck plays Saffi, which works like turn to mist the majority of the time and is also a solid creature. Her plus large creature is one of the many-mini-combos with congregate and raid.

Protection- I really felt like their wasn't enough room for this. It is, as you said, essentially a combo deck, and watering it down like that would weaken it, I feel. The Kitchen Finks and Selkies are really my conceit to this, and they also work well with all the comes into play stuff. Protective spells also make it more likely you'll whiff with Aethermage's Touch.

3x Raid- The problem is you REALLY don't want two of them. Aethermage's touch is intended to be kind of a backup plan. And as someone pointed out, I did put 3 congregates into the deck. They're a key ingredient as you pointed out.

I urge everyone to try the deck for themselves, just for kicks. It's a lot of fun.

Voting by draconias at Wed, 06/03/2009 - 17:33
draconias's picture

As this talk about the vote makes me wonder if it's better to have judges decide. It's too late for this contest (unfair to change the rules after the contest). In the future would it be better have a panel of judges? Even if people don't cheat the vote, they still have clans, friends, etc. The more active and social person could win, not based on merit but based on they know lots of people. From the look of the votes, there isn't a large enough amount of voters to say that a person with an 80 person clan couldn't really sway the votes.

Part of me says people voting is great, we decide our next pop stars, why not decide our MTGO stars? But in a small community where one person cheating, running a "vote for me" campaign, has access to a strong social network, or any number of ways to snag the popular vote, why not let judges decide?

I ran a film fest a while back. I thought it would be fun for the audience to decide the winners. The filmmakers that brought the most people with them won the contest. The next year I invited a bunch local celebrities (actors, the screenwriting teacher, etc.) to be the judges and the winners were more deserving.

I'm curious to see what other people think.