Tribal Apocalypse's picture
By: Tribal Apocalypse, Tribal Apocalypse
Feb 26 2016 1:00pm

Welcome back to Tribal Apocalypse!

Table of Contents

1. Last Week on Tribal Apocalypse...
  2. The High Price of Winning
  3. Announcement Time!
  4. What's Next

Check the full archive for the "Diaries of the Apocalypse" series

THOUGHTS OF A TRIBAL HOST
by Kumagoro

Purification time! Last week's only undefeated deck was Ally (see below), which is a Major League tribe that had never ended undefeated in a Pure event before, so had never been affected by the Purification Process. As a consequence, there are still so many nasty things to purify there, a true embarrassment of riches. Of course, pretty much any of the widely played Allies would make a good target, because of how explosively linear they are. And we also have recent additions that turned into Ally staples, like Collected Company and Hardened Scales, or the super-fresh Captain's Claws.

The disappearance of Collected Company wouldn't hurt only Allies.

But I think the first card that screams Purification most of all has to be Kabira Evangel, which is the mother (well, father) of all Ally's alpha strikes.

We won't buy your sermons anymore, dude!

So, that's the first card the Allies lose in Pure. Likely not enough to stop their allied victories.

LAST WEEK ON TRIBAL APOCALYPSE...

• Event Number: 6.07, Week 268 BE
  • Date: February 20
  • Attendance: 20
  • Rounds: 4
  • Subformat: Pure
  • Winner: romellos (Ally)
  • 1 Loss: ScionOfJustice (Angel), AJ_Impy (Beast), mihahitlor (Elf), ML_Berlin (Goblin)
  • Underdog Prize: Golden_Lin (Bear)
  • Tribes: Ally, Angel (x2), Bear, Beast, Cat, Dragon, Elf, Goblin (x2), Human, Hydra, Myr, Plant, Soltari, Sphinx, Spirit, Treefolk, Warrior, Zombie
  • Event link (with all players, pairings, standings, decks, and results): here it is

First win of the year for romellos, and the same goes for Ally. Worth a purification, as seen. The double return to Zendikar didn't end up bringing too many new cards to the deck, but the best of them were very well received by Ally players, like their own tribal land and their own tribal equipment.

There were a few unusual builds this week, but nothing as bizarrely wonderful as AJ_Impy's deceptively friendly Beasts.

The engine of the deck is two cards that cause the opponent to lose life when they gain it: False Cure and Tainted Remedy.

The name of these cards sort of say it all.

Paired with those are Beasts and other cards that give the opponent a ton of life, in some cases with no mana cost for the player, courtesy of a forgotten Nemesis green mechanic.

These aren't cards you see often.

It might seem very gimmicky, but it actually proved to be effective, considering AJ managed to pilot the deck into Top 4.

Another deck I liked for being a new take on old beats was mihahitlor's Opposition Elves. I mean, Vedalken Shackles in an Elf deck? No pervasive mana ramp?

As for me, I remained in my Defense of the Heart period, but turned to Treefolk. Dauntless Dourbark and Xenagos, God of Revels is a truly satisfying double fetch.

THE HIGH PRICE OF WINNING

Here's the prices of all the featured decks, courtesy of the amazing Deck Pricer from mtgGoldfish (MTGO Traders prices as of February 25, 2016):

The Top 10 Cheapest Decks that Went Undefeated

1. mihahitlor's Warriors, $1.95, 1st place on Event 233
  2. morpphling's Goblins, $2.35, 2nd place on Event 102
  3. JogandoPelado's Berserkers, $2.80, 1st place on Event 248
  4. Gq1rf7's Goblins, $3.32, 1st place on Event 154
  5. MisterMojoRising's Insects, $3.55, 2nd place on Event 201
  6. Gq1rf7's Goblins, $3.58, 1st place on Event 169
  7. Gq1rf7's Goblins, $3.70, 1st place on Event 145
  8. Gq1rf7's Goblins, $4.12, 2nd place on Event 141
  9. Gq1rf7's Assassins, $4.18, 1st place on Event 147
  10. mihahitlor's Goblins, $4.22, 1st place on Event 240

NOTE: not adjusted to current prices; data collected since Event 85.

ANNOUNCEMENT TIME!

Just to remind you of a few things:

Cockatrice Wants You! Be the first to win a match with the last orphan tribe and you'll win a 2-tix certificate from MTGO Traders. Remember: only tribes with at least 3 members are effectively considered tribes in Tribal Apocalypse (since tribes that field an equal or greater number of Changelings than actual members count as Shapeshifter decks). Tribes with exactly 3 members are allowed to play in Underdog events with 8 slots filled by Changelings, whereas nobody else (but, of course, Shapeshifter decks) can play with more than 4 Changelings in those events.

The Underdog Prize: During any event of the regular rotation (but not during the one-time special events), all players who are running an Underdog Tribe are eligible for a 1-tix credit on Pennybot. The tie-breakers are first the number of Underdog categories (for instance, a tribe that's simultaneously Endangered and Unhallowed will take the prize over one that's only Endangered), then the points achieved in the final standings. During Underdog events, only the True Underdog tribes are rewarded (those are the tribes belonging to all three categories of Underdog at once).

The Up-and-Coming Prize: When a tribe wins an event for the first time ever (losing Unhallowed status), its pilot will get a 3-tix certificate from MTGO Traders.

The Hamtastic Award: The Biodiversity Prize dedicated to the memory of Erik Friborg has started the first quarter of 2016. The quarter will end March 26. By that date, the player or players who registered the greatest number of different tribes (except Human, Elf and Goblin) will get a 5-tix certificate from MTGO Traders. Congratulations to last quarter's winner, AJ_Impy!

The Top Players Lockout: Every time a Top Player (either a Google Era Top 8, an Ultimate Champion/Tribal Player of the Year, or a seasonal Top 8) will end undefeated, they will not be allowed to register the same tribe and deck again for 5 events (i.e. they'll have to register a different deck or decks 5 times before coming back to the undefeated one). With "deck" is meant a specific, recognizable archetype (e.g. Wall-Drazi), which in some case will be linked to a specific combo card (e.g. Helm of Obedience). A list of the current lockouts is maintained here.

Wanna test your deck? Tell us when you're online, and look who else is there and when! All of this here!

WHAT'S NEXT

The upcoming Tribal Apocalypse events of the Blippian Era (every Saturday at 17:00 GMT):

• 6.08 (Week 269 BE), on February 27: Regular
  • 6.09 (Week 270 BE), on March 5: Underdog
  • 6.10 (Week 271 BE), on March 12: Regular
  • 6.11 (Week 272 BE), on March 19: Pure

Check out all the rules for the sub-formats!

Check out the full Tribal Calendar for 2016!

SEE YOU ALL IN THE TRIBAL ROOM!

Kuma, I was looking at your by Bazaar of Baghdad at Fri, 02/26/2016 - 14:50
Bazaar of Baghdad's picture

Kuma, I was looking at your Treefolk deck last weekend, liked it, but was trying to figure out the mana. 4 Taiga for the Xenagos but the fetch spell Cultivate couldn't get access to red (I think). Am I missing something? Would something like Farseek (for Taiga) or a single Mountain have been better?

Possibly, but at the very by AJ_Impy at Fri, 02/26/2016 - 18:03
AJ_Impy's picture

Possibly, but at the very least the Harbingers can fetch them.

That was the missing link - by Bazaar of Baghdad at Fri, 02/26/2016 - 21:15
Bazaar of Baghdad's picture

That was the missing link - thanks, AJ.

I didn't want lands without by Kumagoro42 at Sat, 02/27/2016 - 10:51
Kumagoro42's picture

I didn't want lands without the Forest type, because 8 key creatures live off them, and other 4 make them indestructible. Xenagos is to be fetched via Defense, Sylvan Library is there to prevent me from drawing into him; Cultivate is more punch than ramp in the deck.

Regrettably I will most by AJ_Impy at Fri, 02/26/2016 - 18:34
AJ_Impy's picture

Regrettably I will most likely be absent tomorrow. Meeting up with some old friends.

Hey guys, if you could run by Bazaar of Baghdad at Sun, 02/28/2016 - 13:25
Bazaar of Baghdad's picture

Hey guys, if you could run only one, what's the best tribal creature regardless of mana cost not subject to the various tribal ban lists (including restrictions to in-tribe only, such as would eliminate Emrakul, Iona, and Progenitus)? If you run Force of Will, probably Griselbrand?! But even that seems chancey. Kozilek the Great Distortion is a candidate. Any other preferred candidates?

Either Ulamog is up there. by AJ_Impy at Sun, 02/28/2016 - 13:57
AJ_Impy's picture

Either Ulamog is up there. Indestructibility plus on-cast permanent removal, coupled with annihilator or library exile respectively. If mana cost is no object, that's a lot of bang for buck.

Yep, decent call. by Bazaar of Baghdad at Sun, 02/28/2016 - 14:12
Bazaar of Baghdad's picture

Yep, decent call.

Primeval Titan, nothing else by ArchGenius at Sun, 02/28/2016 - 17:27
ArchGenius's picture

Primeval Titan, nothing else can search for as many varied effects as that guy, and he can be searched out more easily than the other heavy hitters.

This comment is rather late, by Bazaar of Baghdad at Thu, 03/03/2016 - 14:19
Bazaar of Baghdad's picture

This comment is rather late, but I'm about 99% sure 4x Bonfire of the Damned would be an upgrade for the Treefolk deck. It's a good card on its own, but with permanent-based library manipulation and ramp and a preexisting red splash, it should be a home run as a one-sided Wrath that covers up a deck weakness (insufficient removal).

I typically use a set of red by Kumagoro42 at Fri, 03/04/2016 - 06:40
Kumagoro42's picture

I typically use a set of red sweepers in my mostly-monogreen decks (see my green Elementals, for instance). My choice of sweeper used to be Sudden Demise, which is currently very expensive to acquire, though.

In the case of these Treefolk, though, it'd need a very different build. As it is, there's not really a red splash in there, just the chance that I MIGHT be able to cast the singleton Xenagos should it unfortunately end up in my hand at some point. Treefolk Harbingers aren't there to fetch Taiga; if they are forced to do that, it hurts my battleplan. They are meant as a 1-drop to set my play for turn 2 (Bosk Banneret) or turn-3 (either Dungrove Elder or Dauntless Dourbark if I had the Banneret already). With Bonfire in the deck, I would need to use a turn-1 Harbinger for Taiga, or else I would keep miracle-drawing Bonfire without the red mana available to cast it (and to make room for it, I would probably have to take Sylvan Library out, since it's the less consequential card).

Also, it's not a good strategy for the deck to sweep the opponent's board at all, since it's a Defense of the Heart deck; I *want* them to have creatures! In fact, I've multiple ways to give them some. Plus, it's a Pure deck, I know I won't have to worry about combo Elves, and I can easily block Human-based linear aggro, at least long enough to trample them to death. Where I fail is against explosive linear like Ally, which are likely too beefy already when my Bonfire is online, since I don't really ramp, I just accelerate into other Treefolk and then beef them up.

Finally, fire in a tree deck? :)

Wow 13.xx for Sudden by Paul Leicht at Fri, 03/04/2016 - 08:11

Wow 13.xx for Sudden demise...and then I looked at its set. Only in cmdr 2013. So someone cornered the market for some reason, thinking everyone will want them for legacy? Crazy.

Well, it's a miraculous fire. by Bazaar of Baghdad at Fri, 03/04/2016 - 23:41
Bazaar of Baghdad's picture

Well, it's a miraculous fire. :) Of course, I would suggest adding 7-8 fetches to avoid the waste of a Harbinger search. I would also add 2-3 (probably 2) Ancient Tombs with the high CC of these cards. That would still leave 10 Forests for Cultivates, more than ample. I might even cut 1 more Forest for a Mirri's Guile for more turn 1-options and to help the Bonfire plan. With 4 Cultivates especially, but also as a good card in general, you might also want to consider a miser's Exploration.

I don't necessarily agree with everything you said, but it's well argued, nd I'll leave it at that.

There is nothing wrong with by IcyEyes at Sun, 03/06/2016 - 10:23
IcyEyes's picture

There is nothing wrong with being "stuck" with this game after so many years, but I sincerely I hope you are using your time for better things. Something more appropriate to your "intellect" (hey, sounds pretty nice intellect!).