Mikey K159's picture
By: Mikey K159, Michael
Nov 15 2011 9:23am
2.666665

Decktech

Some cards That I wasn’t playing but are still considerable.

Rogue Elephant – He’s a 1 mana 3/3 that beats pretty darn hard on your opponent’s life. But if he gets removed, even in the first turn, it’s so brutal because now your 1 land down in an 18 land deck. Honestly in my opinion, he isn’t that good.

Jungle Lion – Basically a Savannah Lion that can’t block, though it seemed good to me on paper when I was looking for good creatures to replace Quirion Ranger, the Lion did not impress me. Honestly, Scythe Tiger looked better to me.

Mire Boa – If mono black control was played more in the format, I think this guy would be a very good inclusion to the maindeck over Shinen of life’s Roar. I will more than likely make this change anyway, since the Shinen was very unimpressive and I love Mire Boa.

Match 1

Basically what I learned after this match, is that this deck is very unforgiving if you stumble.

Match 2

I added sideboard cards for this match as I will show you right before the third match gets underway.

Match 3

I have no idea what the guy was playing and if anyone does know what this deck is, please for the love of god let me know.

My final thoughts on the deck is this, it’s very powerful and has a lot of potential and I like better than poison, only for the fact that it can actually win in the long run. It has the creatures and the tools to beat just a lot of decks. I will be testing with this deck much more in the future.

See you guys next week!

Rogue Elephant... by Fred1160 at Tue, 11/15/2011 - 13:12
Fred1160's picture

Way back when, Rogue Elephant was a mainstay in the old Senor Stompy decks.
You were talking about how bad it hurts if you lose him in an 18-land deck.
Back then, they ran Rogue Elephant in 8-land decks. The deck was mana-efficient
to the point that it could lose a forest on the first turn and it didn't cripple
the deck.

My opinion.... by Mikey K159 at Tue, 11/15/2011 - 17:08
Mikey K159's picture

If they ran rogue elephant in an 8 land deck and it worked for them, well that's good and all, but I don't think that was/is a good idea at all... In all honesty I still don't think its needed even after trying him in some games. But that's just personal preference.

@Scion: To be honest, I don't think its the best deck in the format. But its basically a fair version of poison and I think its fine to play in the format right now. If I had gleeful sabotage ahead of time and I had drawn fog in game 3(or put it in game 2 like I should have) I would have won.

But its all circumstantial I suppose.

Woot by ScionOfJustice at Tue, 11/15/2011 - 13:57
ScionOfJustice's picture

I got to be in someone's video and even win in it! I just don't think MGA is good in the format right now. I don't see it favorable in any of the major arch-types right now. The green/black deck you played against is appears to be a bad version of a tortured existence deck, at least that's my guess.

Sorry to be harsh, but after by deluxeicoff at Wed, 11/16/2011 - 22:03
deluxeicoff's picture

Sorry to be harsh, but after hearing the 56th, "I guess..." or "...um, I think.. maybe..." I got really upset at the lack of effort.
Pressing record and imparting on your audience an admitted-to lack of knowledge/expertise on Stompy, followed by half-hearted and unsupported observations really gets you nothing, even worse, it gives your audience even less. It is simply frustrating to me as a reader/watcher. What was your point? "Oh here's a half-assed attempt to ramble on about a deck I admit I don't know much about..TICKETS PLEASE."

sigh...

anyone wanting the above click of "MONO GREEN" to lead to something valid, try this:

Yes I wrote it. And I respected my audience enough to edit it and base it on some expertise/tourney knowledge.

Is there any reason to run by greyes3 at Wed, 11/16/2011 - 22:41
greyes3's picture

Is there any reason to run stompy over infect? What am I missing here?

Consistency mostly - in the by deluxeicoff at Wed, 11/16/2011 - 22:59
deluxeicoff's picture

Consistency mostly - in the hands of a good pilot, Stompy will 'get you there' more often. Infects speed and great draws can be very intoxicating, but in a tourney over 4 rounds... Stompy's the best choice unless some more men have infect in the future. I find when playing vs. infect, if you can stifle their initial 1-2 creatures...they draw tricks and not meat. It is a VERY close call, as your opp is initially starting with 1/2 the life in one than the other :)

Rogue Elephants and Such... by Fred1160 at Thu, 11/17/2011 - 11:06
Fred1160's picture

As for Rogue Elephant, it was a product of its time. A first turn Rogue Elephant with a turn two Rancor (or double Rancor) was just too much for a lot of decks to deal with.
Eight-land builds with Quirion Ranger tricks and Elvish Spirit Guides would draw pure gas all the way home.
I noticed in deluxeicoff's article on Stompy (a great read, by the way)
that Shinen of Life's Roar is a big player. I used to run Taunting Elf. "Swing with everything, you have to block the Taunting Elf" led to a lot of wins.
Stompy is an archetype that never goes away completely. It's fun to play, cheap to build, and it can steal wins from the unprepared.
Just writing about it makes me want to sleeve it up all over again.

Agreed by grapplingfarang at Thu, 11/17/2011 - 12:56
grapplingfarang's picture

Stompy is a very good deck, I am really not sure why it is so rare to see nowadays, but stompy in the hands of a pilot who knows it well (probably why it isn't seen much) is one of the matchups I fear the most.

If you don't own by Mikey K159 at Thu, 11/17/2011 - 13:26
Mikey K159's picture

@greyes23: I agree with what Deluxeicoff said... But also its because I don't have invigorates, so poison is sadly out of my reach until, hopefully, the price goes down when masques block comes out.

@Deluxeicoff: Listen, I'm not gonna pick a fight with you and I respect your skills at magic, but I will say this. I had plenty of testing vs Mono Green Stompy and I've watched friends play it in the past. Also if I'm saying Um and Maybe a lot, its because I'm considering my options. I guess I'm sorry because I don't play quick enough?

Also if you don't think I'm worthy enough to play a deck you seem to be amazing with and that you like so much, well that's ok. I don't mind what you think.

Play whatever you want, I'm by deluxeicoff at Thu, 11/17/2011 - 13:42
deluxeicoff's picture

Play whatever you want, I'm just pleading that you put more effort into your endeavor. I don't care if a guy is awful and goes 0-60, if he has well-though-out ideas/layout etc.,. it makes it worth visiting. This 'effort' simply left me angered for the reasons above, so much so that I can't keep my mouth (fingers) quiet! I'm mostly angry at the admin here at puremtgo...they need to set the bar MUCH higher.

I think the answer is to a) by Paul Leicht at Thu, 11/17/2011 - 14:56

I think the answer is to a) talk to Josh directly instead of sniping at him here. or b) start your own content site. If it pays you will certainly attract talent and can filter content however you like. I think if you want to see improvements here you need to give precise and non-condescending advice.

That said I agree with you that hemming and hawing in video/audio content is not acceptable in general and I typically don't watch video or listen to audio unless I already like the poster and trust them to give good content.

@ the OP: keep at it and hopefully you will improve your presentation to the point that Deluxe gives you compliments instead of knocks.

I'm the content manager, I by JXClaytor at Mon, 11/21/2011 - 17:35
JXClaytor's picture

I'm the content manager, I decide what goes up on the site, I thought this article was fine, and I stand by my decision to publish it. I do not believe that the writer was just writing to get paid, and yes while it does not polishing I believe there has been enough good feedback to send the writer into the correct direction.

This is obviously not an by shango2 at Sat, 11/26/2011 - 15:49
shango2's picture

This is obviously not an article for someone who is a super experienced Stompy player. So the fact that you don't like it isn't surprising. I'm fairly new to Pauper, and I've never played with or against Stompy, and I found this article just fine. I think there is value in seeing someone's thought process when they first pick up a deck, as well as when they've played it for ages.

I wish I could channel your by deluxeicoff at Thu, 11/17/2011 - 22:04
deluxeicoff's picture

I wish I could channel your patience Paul :) All valid points. I find direct contact impossible unless someones' info is listed...If you click on someones name, it gives you their bio...not contact info. I rather like the public forum - I mean, is it really so much to ask that a PUBLISHED & Paid for effort be decent? I don't like flamers...but I do think more people need to critique, (harsh or Mr.Rodgers-like) efforts that seem sub-par to this game we all love.

Hey now Josh's email is in by Paul Leicht at Fri, 11/18/2011 - 02:44

Hey now Josh's email is in the article I wrote on him last year. But just in-case you don't want to go spelunking: joshua.claytor@gmail.com.

I by JXClaytor at Mon, 11/21/2011 - 17:36
JXClaytor's picture

Have deleted comments that I felt were non constructive and attacking in nature. If you want to fight take it in game, not in the comments please.