JXClaytor's picture
By: JXClaytor, Joshua Claytor
May 10 2013 7:15am

School is over for me.  Well at least this semester is over.  I get to look forward to a Sports Ethics class next month, but for now I'm on vacation!  That includes work too.  Sometimes, when you work for a university like I do, you find yourself without work hours due to the class schedule.  Since the campus I work for will not have any classes this semester I was put on a long term vacation.

I may have actually been fired.  I have no idea if that is the case or not.

Anyways, I suddenly have found myself having a lot of free time.  On top of that, I'm having some health issues, I'm not quite sure what is wrong with me yet, but my doctor is doing work to find out the cause and solution to why I feel awful all the time after I eat or while I am driving.  Because of that, traveling is hard on me, and what is a five mile drive may end up taking twenty to thirty minutes while I fight this feeling of wanting to puke all over the place.  That's not a feeling worth fighting for.

REO Speedwagon references aside, I made the decision to sell my paper collection to Heath and the good folks at Cape Fear Games.  I'm not using my cards, and if I want to play magic than MTGO is the only thing I can play on without feeling too bad.  I kept one deck though, I figured I may figure out what is wrong with me, and if I do, then I'll have something to PTQ with over the summer.  At the very least something to FNM with.

I decided that I wanted to keep a control deck, and make sure I kept my four (Sphinx's Revelations).  That pretty much allowed me to play a few things.  I could go with Bant Flash, UWR Flash, Wolf Run Bant, or Esper.  Seeing as I had Snapcaster Mages that I got over the weekend of the prerelease I also wanted to play with those as well.  That narrowed me down a bit further, and I took Wolf Run Bant out of contention.  I like the two different versions of Flash, but I was missing too much for Bant, and was missing more than I remembered for URW Flash.  That left me with Esper, and then I figured I needed to find a list in which to play.  I could go with a Planeswalker heavy version but I was lacking those in paper, because let's face it, I'm greedy and I want the most MTGO credit as I can get.  That left me with the version of Esper that finished tenth at the recent Starcitygames.com Open.  Andrew Grenz played this deck to the virtual top eight, and finished with an 8-2 record over ten rounds of play.  That's fairly impressive, and even more so when one considers that this was the first standard event to use Dragon's Maze.  This deck has two cards from the new set in it, one in the main and the other in the board.

Grenz lost in the Swiss rounds to one Michael J Flores who was playing Bant Hexproof.  He also lost to Timothy Timlin playing UWR Flash.  I'm not sure what and who he beat, but I do know that you can watch a some of the match he played with Timlin here.  It's okay, you can go watch it.  I'll wait.  Besides I'll have some videos for you to watch here when you get back!

After seeing the deck in action and playing it some myself I figured I would go ahead and pick it up on MTGO.  As of Thursday May 9, 2013, I was able to buy what I was missing from mtgotraders.com for less than 300 dollars.  A bit of a price tag sure, but you're getting a set of cards that will be played for a long time in Revelations, and Snapcaster Mage is a very good in Modern as well.  I registered for the TNMO, because I have never played in one of them and kinda wanted a silly Judge's Familiar, and went to battle.  TNMO for those of you not aware is the MTGO version of Friday Night Magic.  You get the promo card for playing, and the formats rotate each week, thankfully, this week it was Standard.

Round One

Round Two

Round Three

2-1 with the deck is not the worst.  I feel like I beat the decks I am supposed to in the aggro match ups, and did okay against Jund.  With time and learning the matches and the ins and outs of the deck we may find that this puzzle of an Esper deck is not too bad at all.  I think I made the right choice here in regards to rebuilding my collection, I mean hey, I've already won two packs!

Thanks for watching this episode of Outside the Deckbox, follow PureMTGO.com on Twitter and Facebook for discussion of late breaking Magic news, and follow me on Twitter for whatever reason it is people follow each other on Twitter!  You can find me @JoshuaClaytor!

Puremtgo really needs to by deluxeicoff at Sat, 05/11/2013 - 20:34
deluxeicoff's picture

Puremtgo really needs to speed things up...

This is in now way a dig to this article, just that lots of player/writers are complaining about stuff being weeks, even months late after they write it. It seems to be getting worse - is there less admin on that end now?

I believe this is deliberate by Paul Leicht at Sat, 05/11/2013 - 22:42

I believe this is deliberate on the part of Josh and co. Also Josh has had much on his plate of late.

The average turn around on by JXClaytor at Sun, 05/12/2013 - 15:32
JXClaytor's picture

The average turn around on articles from my inbox to publication is 2 days. Of course some of those are pushed back due to the weekend, planned content for the site, and certain features that I want to run. I try to group things like new set content together and rush publish those.

I've sadly not heard these complaints, and will always be open to them, I do not have any idea if something is wrong if I do not hear about it, so please email me at joshua.claytorATGmail.com so we can open a line of communication!

To illustrate this, tonight's content is a planned day of stuff, we're going to be featuring writers of MTGO only content, SilverBlack, Pauper, Peasant and an MOCS qualifiers path to the event. Tuesday will be draft day, with looks at triple DGM, Shadowmoor, and the podcast, I try to match content up because I think it will be the most entertaining for the readers!

I wonder if that last by CottonRhetoric at Mon, 05/13/2013 - 18:42
CottonRhetoric's picture

I wonder if that last paragraph is worth having a discussion about? I was always of the mind that it's better to have a variety each day, and to spread out the like-content stuff. That way, everybody will see at least one article a day that interests them. (Or at least have greater odds of doing so.) But for people like me who don't play Silverblack or Pauper, a day of that stuff means nothing to read.

Also, for people who do like those formats, do they want to read four articles all at once? I don't know the answer to this -- just wondering out loud.

I do not know either, but I by JXClaytor at Mon, 05/13/2013 - 20:49
JXClaytor's picture

I do not know either, but I want to know, hence the experiment :D We will see in time I hope, but will go out on a limb and say that variety is probably better.

fwiw, I have no complaints by Psychobabble at Sun, 05/12/2013 - 21:49
Psychobabble's picture

fwiw, I have no complaints about the speed of my article publications. They're always published within a couple of days submission (and I'll be a day later than normal submitting this week due to trying to get some more DGM testing in before publishing!).

I think the only issue might be if certain authors try to submit multiple articles per week, I don't think more than one per author is published every week.

Personally this is something by Paul Leicht at Sun, 05/12/2013 - 22:02

Personally this is something has always gotten on my nerves a little as a user. I don't want to see 5 sections of an article printed separately. Taking too much time and effort to write that many words? Be more concise. Plan the outline better so you don't have to split the article at all. Worried you are going to run out of words because of some mystical/mythical quota? Don't worry they replenish themselves if you just put a little thought into it.

I could go on. I recognize this is a pet peeve so mostly I have stayed quiet on the subject but the submitting 2 articles in a week then expecting multiple paydays and getting upset when it doesn't pan out? Annoying.

And while I recognize that the credits awarded for articles doesn't come close to covering a professional writer's typical fee, this is a free content site. We provide the entertainment ourselves and somehow still get something to show for it. So thanks to Josh and Heath we have a decent flow of articles without it being a total mess and some of us have managed to do quite well collection wise over a long period of time because of that.

yeah, I mostly agree with by Psychobabble at Sun, 05/12/2013 - 22:10
Psychobabble's picture

yeah, I mostly agree with that although I do think it's ok to split some articles up. eg. i did it recently with my set review, I simply couldn't have done justice to the entire set in a single week's article and those articles lose a lot of their relevance the later they're published, so I split up what was ultimately 8,000 total words and 6 decklists over two weeks.

On an unrelated note, JXC - do you have any idea if/when auto-linking and images will be working for DGM? I've just saved a preview of my latest article and it's going to be a huge PITA for me to do all of the images manually, although I will if it's not going to be updated in the next day or so.

I'll send jam a message about by JXClaytor at Sun, 05/12/2013 - 22:49
JXClaytor's picture

I'll send jam a message about it tonight.

I try not to feature the same writer more than once a week, but I'm easing up on that now, I see that starcity and channelfireball does multiple pieces by the same person and I want to try it out a bit.

Thanks mate. The deckbuilder by Psychobabble at Sun, 05/12/2013 - 23:54
Psychobabble's picture

Thanks mate. The deckbuilder is less urgent, but it'd also be good to get that working.

On another note, your email address (or even your identity as the editor!) isn't available anywhere on this website as far as I can see. When I was first starting out, I didn't have any idea how to contact you guys formally to see if you'd even be interested in my article series, I just sent it in and hoped :).

I'll also see if Jam can add by JXClaytor at Sun, 05/12/2013 - 23:58
JXClaytor's picture

I'll also see if Jam can add something about contacting me or heath to the write for puremtgo section, I usually get emails from heath from people who have messaged him!

I am okay with multiple by JXClaytor at Sun, 05/12/2013 - 22:51
JXClaytor's picture

I am okay with multiple sections for an article, as long as they are relevant and are good pieces of content.