JXClaytor's picture
By: JXClaytor, Joshua Claytor
Apr 02 2010 3:58pm

So, I'm sitting here at my local store in Radcliff, KY, watching my friend and fellow MTGOtraders.com employee Andy put together a light warjack from the Khador faction of Warmachine when I get a package from Wizards of the Coast.  Thinking that I finally got my shipment of Friday Night Magic Bloodbraid Elves, I ripped it open, excited  to see the new Friday Night Magic hotness.

Sadly it was not my elves, but rather a cryptic message.   I've since lost it, but I remember most of the message was rather insulting, as the most I can remember is a finely crafted message that said I would get wurms by the end of the day.  Steamed, I threw it away, and went back about my rat killing.  An hour or so later, an Emery Freight truck pulled up to the shop, and dropped off an 8x10 envelope.  I expected it to be loaded with cash, but rather it was a card, and suddenly I understood why I would be getting wurms today.

Okay, I'm done with my bullcrapping, I just needed to write an intro for this awesome bit of cardboard we'll get to play with soon.  What you see here is Pelakka Wurm, he's a 7/7 beatstick that costs seven, and has trample.  Which is just fantastic, because if I am paying seven mana for something I expect certain things to be on those cards.  Like if i pay seven for a white creature, I expect it to have flying.  More often than not, I am fine with a seven casting cost 7/7 with trample, that guy is usually a house in limited, but if you look closer, you see two more abilities on this guy, that I think can push what is sure to be a limited powerhouse into constructed playability.

When he enters the battlefield you gain seven life.  That is not too bad.  In constructed he can be a good sideboard card for matchups like Red Deck and Jund, where you need to gain some extra life.  Let's not kid ourselves here, I know that he costs seven, but you're playing green, you're gonna have some form of mana acceleration in your deck, be it Elves and Birds, or Nobles and Rampant Growths, you're gonna get this guy out before turn seven in most cases.  So we're looking at negating two lightning bolts and a non landfalled searing blaze with one card.

Okay you've gained your seven life, and are attacking with this guy.  Somehow he bites the big one and is off to see Elizabeth.  He does not just go to the graveyard, no sir!  He's gonna replace himself!  For the low cost of seven mana, you're gonna get a 7/7 with trample.  You're also going to gain seven life, but wait, there's more!  You also get to draw a card when ever he dies.  That card could be anything!  It could be a boat!

I really like the idea of casting Pelakka Wurm, in both limited and constructed.  He is going to be an uncommon that you want to open in Rise Sealed, and while I am not as high on him in constructed as I am in limited, I can see this guy having some serious implications as a sideboard card.

With that said, I hope you all enjoyed the card!

Tarmogoyf eat your heart out. by Anonymous (not verified) at Fri, 04/02/2010 - 16:18
Anonymous's picture

Tarmogoyf eat your heart out.

Thats a very nice Wurm indeed by Flippers_Giraffe at Fri, 04/02/2010 - 17:20
Flippers_Giraffe's picture

Thats a very nice Wurm indeed

also, consider the 'enters by PastProphet (not verified) at Fri, 04/02/2010 - 17:39
PastProphet's picture

also, consider the 'enters the battlefield' rather than 'when you cast'

... I like the idea of by PastProphet (not verified) at Fri, 04/02/2010 - 17:42
PastProphet's picture

... I like the idea of Splinter Twin, and the ability to repeat ETB effects on creatures.
There might even be more 'blink' creature effects, considering that

see at first i just read the by ShardFenix at Fri, 04/02/2010 - 18:34
ShardFenix's picture

see at first i just read the abilities and figured meh its a rare and not necessarily one I would decide to buy a playset of.
Then josh wrote it was an uncommon, so i figured that he was still hungover from las vegas.
Then I checked the card again...OMG it is an uncommon!!! WTF!?! Definitely buying a playset.
7 mana cant be that tough not with elves, harrow, rampant, and KHE

Man, they are sure getting by Anonymous (not verified) at Fri, 04/02/2010 - 19:52
Anonymous's picture

Man, they are sure getting lazy with the flavor text these days. That flavor would be boring in any set, but in Rise of the Eldrazi this thing isn't even the biggest uncommon, much less biggest creature.

As for the actual card... intriguing, sure seem like we get an awful lot for that one green mana upgrade from a Craw Wurm. Is it enough to actually see constructed play. My brain says no, but my bladder has a sneaking suspicion.

"Tarmogoyf eat your heart by Anonymous (not verified) at Fri, 04/02/2010 - 20:37
Anonymous's picture

"Tarmogoyf eat your heart out"

Hahahahaha.. wait, were you serious?

Epic family guy quote. by Anonymous (not verified) at Fri, 04/02/2010 - 20:57
Anonymous's picture

Epic family guy quote.

Seems to me 7 is a huge cost by Paul Leicht at Fri, 04/02/2010 - 21:39

Seems to me 7 is a huge cost for competitive play but if so then alot of Eldrazi is up there too so maybe standard will finally be slow enough to enjoy. Then again this creature with its life gain and body may just be a super timmy card.

well in monogreen 7 shouldnt by ShardFenix at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 00:19
ShardFenix's picture

well in monogreen 7 shouldnt be too hard... I could see it easily coming out on turn 5
t1: Forest Llanowar
t2: Forest, Harrow, growth
t3: Arbor Elf, Archdruid
t4: Now you have 9 mana even missing your 3rd and 4th turn drops.. 4 forests, 1 from llanowar, 1 from arbor elf and 3 from the archdruid....

or it could come in turn by Anonymous (not verified) at Sun, 04/04/2010 - 10:23
Anonymous's picture

or it could come in turn 3.
t1: Forest, Joraga Treespeaker
t2: Forest, level treespeaker, 2 of any 1-drop mana-acceleration (eg. Llanowar, Arbor Elf, Birds etc.)
t3: Forest, you now have 7 mana for the wurm. 3 forests, 2 from Joraga Treespeaker, and two from your two 1-drop mana-accelerationers.

Counterpoint: To make that by Inneutral (not verified) at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 00:29
Inneutral's picture

Counterpoint: To make that series of play with your average draw, you need 55% of your deck (or more since harrow/rampant growth slightly reduce your odds of drawing land on later turns)... 7 mana sources from 12-13 total cards seen, assuming an opponent doesn't kill any of your creature based mana sources. A 7/7 trampler that has a "meh" CITP effect for its size and has as its only protection drawing a single card if the removal used on it isn't exile (50% of the time that draw will just get you more mana) just isn't that threatening.

oh there is no denying that by ShardFenix at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 02:07
ShardFenix's picture

oh there is no denying that over half of your non land would have to be dedicated solely to ramp effects. Though i never said it was good, just possible.

Actually you implied it was by Paul Leicht at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 02:08

Actually you implied it was good by arguing with my statement that it isn't.

ehh i was more arguing that by ShardFenix at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 02:22
ShardFenix's picture

ehh i was more arguing that seven is not hard to reach in standard right now...i could have used the same example with terastodon

It has never been hard to by Paul Leicht at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 02:46

It has never been hard to reach 7 mana assuming your opponent does nothing. It might be a little hard to reach it currently if your opponent is slamming you for 15 on turn 4, which is par for the course in standard. It is a super timmy card and has 'cheat me into play' written all over it.

My other thought was that if this is an indication of what most of Rise is like then the format may be slow enough to make it viable.

i saw somewhere that eldrazi by ShardFenix at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 06:03
ShardFenix's picture

i saw somewhere that eldrazi limited will feel like a glacier after zendikar limited...

awesome limited card. unless by rainin6 at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 00:38
rainin6's picture

awesome limited card. unless i'm mistaken about RotE, unplayable constructed card.

Commander is a constructed by Anonymous (not verified) at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 06:59
Anonymous's picture

Commander is a constructed format, and it will be quite playable there :) This guy + Kiki-Jiki in my Intet deck will be awesome!

Great Preview Card by Adam_the_Mentat at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 11:53
Adam_the_Mentat's picture

I love this card. LOVE IT, for an uncommon. I'm a big fan of "enters the battlefield" effects. I love Flicker effects, reanimation like Mortuary + Call of the Wild/Lurking Predators, and even wacky stuff like Proteus Staff. I love Solemn Simulacrum. I like creatures that are really worth their mana cost. This card goes great in mono green with Phosphorescent feast/priamlcrux. It has numerous uses and I look forward to buying my playset.

ugh for a second you had me by ShardFenix at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 12:31
ShardFenix's picture

ugh for a second you had me really excited...I was like momentary blink would be awesome...then remembered the card draw triggered on hitting the graveyard, not leaving play... :(

7 extra life though by Adam_the_Mentat at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 15:44
Adam_the_Mentat's picture

for a momentary blink

There's a land that let's you by Anonymous (not verified) at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 14:35
Anonymous's picture

There's a land that let's you add three to your mana pool if you discard a creature card.

This is Primal Command again. by Anonymous (not verified) at Sat, 04/03/2010 - 15:19
Anonymous's picture

This is Primal Command again. This is playable.

Now that is an interesting by Anonymous (not verified) at Sun, 04/04/2010 - 15:35
Anonymous's picture

Now that is an interesting point, me thinks.

Yes, I see this in my by Anonymous (not verified) at Sun, 04/04/2010 - 20:38
Anonymous's picture

Yes, I see this in my Sek'kuar deck! Discard and and then bring it back to the field!