ShardFenix's picture
By: ShardFenix, Thomas Rayne
May 04 2010 12:33am
4.333335

Tribal Apocalypse:

We Are Still On Top Of The Food Chain

Magus of the Scroll

Welcome back readers.  Once again we have another report on the Tribal Classic PRE as well as more information on the next special event and what it will be.  For anyone interested in Tribal Apocalypse who doesn't know by now.  We meet in /join Tribal every Saturday at 12:30 pm EST for registration.  The event begins at 1pm and takes roughly two and a half hours to finish.  Now without further hesitation I present to you the assortment of 2-1 decks from this week's event.

Do You Like Fish Sticks?

4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Misty Rainforest
12 Island
2 Forest
22 cards

Quirion Dryad

This was an old Standard deck I played right after Lorwyn came out and out of lack of a tested deck decided to bring this one out of retirement.  The only changes I made were replacing Delay with Spell Pierce, Riptide Pilferer with Merfolk Sovereign and Aquitect's Will with Spreading Seas and then adding in Misty Rainforest.  The deck runs well especially once there is a Quirion Dryad and Merrow Reejerey in play.  Being able to untap as you play the remainder of merfolk, just allows for more merfolk which is more counters on Quirion Dryad.  The only problem I hit was Moat from AJ_Impy.  Unfortunately I had used the lone Spell Pierce in hand to stop a Wrath of God and thus could not counter.  The even more bothersome part is that in the original version there was totally enchantment/artifact removal in the sideboard in the form of Krosan Grip and Naturalize.

Lammasu Control

2 Plains
16 Snow-Covered Plains
4 Mouth Of Ronom
2 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
24 cards

Hunted Lammasu

Well maybe its more of a shapeshifter deck than a Lammasu deck, but that is the fault of changelings.  The deck overall was quite good, without counters it is tough to keep creatures in play long enough to deal 200 and Moat can totally ruin anyone's day as seen above.  I don't know how I feel about Emeria, the Sky Ruin but that's mainly because I have never seen anyone manage to get one active in the Tribal PREs.

Now if anyone read DangerLinto's article this week, http://puremtgo.com/articles/pure-ridiculousness, this deck was already discussed a little after stirring some controversy.  Personally I don't see it.  The deck overall is just a remake of Snakes on a Plane from the old Kami/Rav standard format.  It's always been a personal favorite of mine because of its budget and it's ability to run WITHOUT dual lands.  The deck actually ran fine back in the day without the Breeding Pool due mainly to the fact that it could run Coiling Oracle, Sakura-Tribe Elder, and Kodama's Reach.  JustSin decided to add a third color for select removal in Fire/Ice and adjusted his mana base accordingly.  The main argument on the other article was how much of an advantage the 'money' lands provide.  Personally I don't see an issue with it.  I have slowly been stocking up on some of the more budget duals like the cycles from M10, Shadowmoor, and the Zendikar fetchlands.  The deck ran well and while the dual lands may have had a hand in it, it certainly can't be used as the main reason.

The Cats Have Left The Zoo

2 Plateau
4 Savannah
4 Taiga
4 Verdant Catacombs
23 cards

Loam Lion

To be honest I could not really think of a way to introduce this deck.  it's a great deck, but the idea is already well fleshed out throughout the internet.  The creature base is fairly close to some Zoo decks already seeing play throughout various formats.  Gaddock Teeg is a great choice to stop some a lot of the non-creature spells used in the format.  Looking at some of the decks already shown it stops Moat, Wrath of God, and Garruk Wildspeaker.  The only thing I question is the lack of Ranger of Eos.  With twelve possible targets the only reason not to play him are space issues.  And mostly it comes down to a comparison between Knight of the Reliquary and Ranger of Eos.  Due to my lack of the appropriate duels to play KotR and would personally choose the Ranger, but either choice can be viewed as correct.

There are very few times when I am jealous of paper players.   This deck shows one of the few.  I was still playing paper during Coldsnap.  I had so many snow lands that was using extras as proxies for testing decks.  Online...not so much.  Part of this is due to the lack of Coldsnap drafting I believe also the sheer hatred of Coldsnap as a set meant lots of abandoned snow lands lying around after FNM drafts.  Online there aren't free lands just hanging out as people leave the draft tables afterward.  Nor are there land boxes to pull from.  Instead we are stuck paying 1 ticket for 5 snow lands meaning the above manabase was 4 tickets by MTGOTraders.com costs.  Over than my personal issues with snow lands, I do enjoy the deck.  It is a different take on Mono-Red Elementals which normally goes the route of Ball Lightning and friends.  I love the Rage Forger portion of the deck which unless killed immediately gives the deck a good amount of reach.  Hitting for 2-5 additional points of damage resulting from only declaring attackers certainly puts the opponent in a back-to-the-wall situation.  Skred removes almost nearly threat as long as you are hitting relatively consistent land drops.  Ashling the Pilgrim is also another fun scalable creature, which doubles as a Earthquake whenever you finally decide to spend six mana on it.

Burning Pings

4 Fireblast
20 cards
Lands
20 Mountain
20 cards

Fireslinger

We finally come to our champion of the week.  YrdBrd420 pulls it out yet again.  He is quickly becoming one of the top competitors in the event.  He once again came with a great deck this week.  Looking over the tournament decks this was certainly a 'weenie week' you could say.  Perfectly poised for his Fireslingers, Vulshok Sorcerers and Magus of the Scrolls to ping their way to victory.  The pinging also gives an out to the enchantment Moat which otherwise red cannot handle.  The red burn mostly hits for three which when combined with any pinger also takes down the tournament 'Fatties' who tended to max out at x/4 this week.  Talk about right choice, right meta deck playing.

Now last week I offered players a vote for the next special event.  Sadly we didn't really have a majority winner.  Choices have been narrowed to the top 4 responses.  As a request, please make your choice very obvious preferably in all CAPS.  This will help in separating your vote from any discussion that goes one.  The choices are as follows:

Kaledioscope(Kaleidosope is an Extended Format) Examples can be seen here:http://puremtgo.com/articles/art-tribal-wars-twisting-kaleidoscope

Singleton

Vanguard(here are some links to some budget avatars http://puremtgo.com/articles/fun-vanguard-23-twenty-half-ticket-avatars - http://puremtgo.com/articles/fun-vanguard-24-twenty-more-half-ticket-avatars)

Single Tribe(everyone plays the same tribe)

The results will be announced this Saturday during Tribal Apocalypse.  If Single Tribe wins the chosen tribe will also be announced at that time.

That is all for this week.  Thank you for reading and I hope to see you all on Saturday.

-ShardFenix

nice article, I vote SINGLE by Flippers_Giraffe at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 04:07
Flippers_Giraffe's picture

nice article, I vote

SINGLE TRIBE - Human

I took ArchGenius's Plant by kalandine at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 06:56
kalandine's picture

I took ArchGenius's Plant challenge (managing a mere 1-2 record).

I have waffled on what tribe I want to challenge players to bring. Working on a Fish deck myself, I was going to suggest that and then in the casual room Flippers crushed my Rhino deck thoroughly with a Fish deck that was very similar to the version I was contemplating. So that was a no go.

As mentioned in the Tribal Apocalpyse room I have considered Badger and Elk, but I want a tribe that actually has 5 members exclusive of Changelings.

In the end, I throw down the gauntelet for Thopters.

Thopters could be very good, by Flippers_Giraffe at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 08:07
Flippers_Giraffe's picture

Thopters could be very good, but I was going to play fish...

Thopters is a very strong by ArchGenius at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 11:48
ArchGenius's picture

Thopters is a very strong tribe, and I surprised I haven't seen any thopter decks posted in the Tribal Apocalypse results.

I think this challenge could easily have a 3-0 winner.

I expand the tribes I play by kalandine at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 13:01
kalandine's picture

I expand the tribes I play very slowly. I am an average deck builder at best, but I am pretty good at evolving a deck. I need to test, destroy, and rebuild before I am ever happy with a deck.

Thopter's seems difficult at first glance for me. Of course, I don't seem to have the internal archive of the cards available online that many of the other players have. Almost every time Paul, AJ, or other various players mention a card when we play, I have to go my collection to look it up.

I look forward to seeing it.

I actually think Plants has a viability to be more formidible than my 1-2 record, but my budget was exhausted. I have seen decent GW plant builds that can have ridiculous draws. I went with GR and there were certain cards that would have made my build much better.

Yeah well it is a tough by Paul Leicht at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 15:31

Yeah well it is a tough archetype. Particularly trying to make it combo in an aggro format.

I still can't believe I lost by JustSin at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 09:17
JustSin's picture

I still can't believe I lost out to the burn deck lol I'm already workin out decks with True Believer lol.. and when I see my mana base written out like that I'm almost embarrassed of my problem lol I can never put together a mana base that isn't singleton non-basics lol I'm glad the deck did well, but its funny cuz I have the article about it written and would have been published this week if the one from last week was put up, only the editors kno when those will get put up lol

SINGLETON... I guess lol

that is quite surprising. I by Paul Leicht at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 09:45

that is quite surprising. I would expect your deck would wreck a pure burn deck.

games ended 2-1 in favor of by JustSin at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 10:57
JustSin's picture

games ended 2-1 in favor of Yrd, I won the first and lost the following two, burning out Lorescale Coatl before it can grow was a big killer and 1/1 tokens are all well and good, but every spell in his deck is burn so even creatures are doing damage to the head every turn its hard to keep up, granted all games came down to perhaps 5 or less life to 0, close, but just not in my favor

Dont feel too bad about the by ShardFenix at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 12:38
ShardFenix's picture

Dont feel too bad about the manabase...my collection of green white blue lands looks the same way. And I only have those for the Ultimate EDH deck which i built...

4 Avatar of discord 3 Avatar by Cruel_Hellraiser at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 10:28

2 Stalking vengeance

2 Sneak attack
4 Zombify
4 Terminate
2 Animate Dead
2 Void

Still working on the manabase

This is the deck that I was working on for this week, but now that we have to vote I will put it off for a week, if I can get the funds to finish it out. Let me know what you think. And yes I am also surprised by the fact the snakes lost to burn. Anyway, I vote for single tribe, if I can actually make it this week it will be fun.

Hi guys, by First_Strike at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 11:25
First_Strike's picture

I read the tribal weekly report. I think about playing some weeks, but I would need to decide in advance. I like the three hours or less time to finish.

To me the problems are:
1. I don’t know of any official place to let me know if it is a specialty format week. I would rather try playing the regular format first.

2. I don’t know what is considered bad form. I understand that people play for fun. Playing combo would be frowned upon. If I play a few dual lands, my sole Vindicate (as I play Singleton 100), a deck with land destruction or counterspells am I going to catch flack for it? It’s really the casual room argument I suppose. I don’t know these “rules”.

If I’m thinking this, others must be as well. Thanks for the help.

everyone is going to have a by JustSin at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 12:00
JustSin's picture

everyone is going to have a different definition of "casual" so it's mostly avoided, but no you should not be discouraged in bringing any money card, if you look at the lists there are several people who bring full sets of duals or fetches, and esp vindicate, feel free

what tends to draw fire is people who use combo or a shell from a Teir 1 Legacy deck forced to be tribal.. though I'd imagine mass LD would make some people unhappy

I ran humans (monowhite) with by Paul Leicht at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 14:12

I ran humans (monowhite) with geddons for a few weeks. No one complained. I think it depends on the crowd and what the complaint is.

I would look up the comments by Leviathan at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 12:07
Leviathan's picture

I would look up the comments in ShardFenix's past articles to get an idea of what is considered "bad form." Essentially, any converted dedicated Legacy deck, such as goblins and merfolk running FoW, as well as dredge, has been frowned upon in the past. But those past comments will give you a better idea.

The speciality weeks are by ShardFenix at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 12:37
ShardFenix's picture

The speciality weeks are always near the end fo the month. they will also always be announced in the articles. Feel free if you ever have questions to PM me in the game. I have no problems answering any questions you may have. As far as the bad form question it's tough. It always kind of a 'hard to describe, but you know it, when you see it'
For example a deck you just dont like...not bad form
that feeling that you can only describe when it happens...bad form

I play anything I like combo, by Flippers_Giraffe at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 12:50
Flippers_Giraffe's picture

I play anything I like combo, duals whatever takes my fancy, I also play off the wall tribes as well.

But note that although I play anything I only play the deck once. This way I don't ruin the event by bringing the same deck every week.

There also a few cards that have been banned over the top of the client ones which are Goblin Lackey, Lion's Eye Diamond, Earthcraft, Bazaar of Baghdad, I can't remember if there are any more Shard will let you know if I have missed any.

I'd say bring your best deck first time round and see how you do if you feel your bringing too much power then turn it down a notch for the next event.

Frustration differs for every by kalandine at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 13:26
kalandine's picture

Frustration differs for every player. Painter's Servant + Grindstone bothered some people, it does not bother me.

I can say that I get tired of facing Goblins and Elves in a tourney with such a wide array of tribes available. I have now played in 6 non-pauper Tribal Apocalypse tournaments. Among those, I have had 2 weeks facing 2 or more elves, 1 week facing 2 goblins, and 1 week facing a Merfolk and a Elves deck.

That being said, I actually have no beef with people bringing Elves. I just will concede the match when facing them and do something else until the next round.

Will do. by First_Strike at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 16:57
First_Strike's picture

Thanks everyone. I know there is always a balance.

I’ll try to put together something that is fun to play and go from there.

I should note my vote is by Paul Leicht at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 11:35

I should note my vote is still for Kaleidoscope.

My vote is for single tribe, by ArchGenius at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 11:44
ArchGenius's picture

My vote is for single tribe, especially if that tribe is slivers.

I only have one Ranger of Eos by Flippers_Giraffe at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 12:54
Flippers_Giraffe's picture

I only have one Ranger of Eos which is why I went for the Knight's

Burning Pings by YrdBrd420 at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 14:34
YrdBrd420's picture

Well, what can I say. Im really pleased with how my deck played. I actually built it a few days before hand and tested some in the casual room this time. I dont know that it was the perfect choice if we were doing more than 3 rounds, but having all that reach against Moat and removal against Snakes certainly didnt hurt. Id have to say that Searing Blaze was my MVP. I found myself holding lands once I got to 3-4 in play just so I could get the full effect from it. But being able to Bolt a blocker and Bolt its controller with 1 card is insane.
My match with JustSin was pretty epic. I think it was in game 1 where his Lorescale just got out of control. Before I knew what happened, it was out of burn range. Games 2 and 3 were all about Fireslinger and Vulshok Sorcerer clearing the way for Blood Knight and Raiders to do there thing while keeping his offense in check. But all 3 games were definitely very close.
My vote for the next specialty week is SINGLETON.
First Strike: The 1st week I played I 3-0ed with Goblins and was met with a few groans but at the same time I won some praise since it was basically pauper Goblins with a few uncommons (Tattermunge Maniac and Boggart Ram-gang) thrown in. Im sure my Burning Pings deck earned groans as well. Come with whatever, just not a fully fleshed out legacy Goblin, Merfolk, or Elf combo deck.

its hard to keep tokens on by JustSin at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 15:14
JustSin's picture

its hard to keep tokens on the field with Sosuke's Summons when they're just getting pinged away before I can gain an advantage, sure it kept those pingers from going to my head, but without the creature advantage the deck struggled

Sosuke's Summons by YrdBrd420 at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 15:23
YrdBrd420's picture

Thank God for the pingers against Summons. Im positive I wouldve been sunk without them. I had forgotten how silly Summons can be.

Yeah my cats didnt do very by Flippers_Giraffe at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 15:49
Flippers_Giraffe's picture

Yeah my cats didnt do very well vs Sosuke's Summons the snakes kept comming back like a bad case of fur balls

Quote" I equate bad form by Lythand at Tue, 05/04/2010 - 17:40
Lythand's picture

Quote" I equate bad form decks, to the feeling that all joy has been sucked from your life and you will never be happy again" /Quote

I felt that way the day i got married...J/K

I like the name, Frozen Fire. It was a fun deck to play. It was actually a Block deck I played in Paper. My first time playing it I totally forgot about the triggers from the Rage Forger. Epic Fail.

Plants! I am actually working on a plant deck Myself. I was inspired by when I was watching kalandine's matches. I noticed a lot of his plants didn't attack, and I want to build a deck that will attack. I actually spent a lot of time yeasterday hashing out a deck that will cost me about 6.5 tickets.

A Thopter deck...hmmm I want to take that challenge. Now my brain is turning gears.

My vote for the next special format is a single tribe. I would suggest either Slivers or Elementals. Leaning towards Elementals. Both races have a wide varity of creatures that can do different things and in all colors. I say elementals more because they hold the more "fun" feeling where when you play against a sliver deck, you get that feeling Shard mentioned. Plus playing slivers myself makes me feel dirty, like I just cheated.

So My Vote : SINGLE RACE: ELEMENTALS or SLIVERS

Just a question What is the by bingobongo at Wed, 05/05/2010 - 03:34
bingobongo's picture

Just a question

What is the point to the these theme weeks again?

In theory to shake it up a by Paul Leicht at Wed, 05/05/2010 - 05:53

In theory to shake it up a bit and to make people be more creative than simply bringing Goblins/Elves etc.

rules by Orgion at Wed, 05/05/2010 - 05:24
Orgion's picture

Hi there, got a spare weekend and a deck idea so thought I might give the apocalypse a spin.

Any chance someone could post a quick deck building rules guide. Can't remember what number of tribal cards you have to have. And are we allowing Eldrazi this weekend? (just in case I managed to get something in the prerelease that works :) )

Cheers...

-- 1/3rd of your deck must be by Paul Leicht at Wed, 05/05/2010 - 05:53

-- 1/3rd of your deck must be of a single tribe. (so 20 in a 60 card deck.) These must be creatures. (Tribal instants etc do not count towards the minimum.)
Banned cards are as listed on the client + the following: Aether Vial(?? someone mentioned this but I am not clear if it is actually on the list), Goblin Lackey, Bazaar of Baghdad, Earthcraft, Lion's Eye Diamond, Survival of the Fittest.

No Aether Vial is not on the by Flippers_Giraffe at Fri, 05/07/2010 - 14:20
Flippers_Giraffe's picture

No Aether Vial is not on the list, but I think it should be.

Is it bad? by Lythand at Wed, 05/05/2010 - 16:37
Lythand's picture

What would people's take be on using Sword of the meek with Thopter foundry. I know its a key piece in a Thopter Depth's deck, but after looking over making a thopter deck, the deck seems a little week the direction I am taking it with out something to give it an edge.

it's been brought before, it by JustSin at Wed, 05/05/2010 - 20:07
JustSin's picture

it's been brought before, it was not favored I believe

KALEIDOSCOPE. Pay no by AJ_Impy at Wed, 05/05/2010 - 18:57
AJ_Impy's picture

KALEIDOSCOPE. Pay no attention to who wrote the example article.

Good week. As for Thopters, it's a fun little deck, but the key card is Sharding Sphinx. Mass power boosters help.

ok the singleton Sry flip by bingobongo at Thu, 05/06/2010 - 06:47
bingobongo's picture

ok the singleton

Sry flip Single tribes Humans that is just open to abuse

Yeah, I like to abuse my by Flippers_Giraffe at Fri, 05/07/2010 - 14:21
Flippers_Giraffe's picture

Yeah, I like to abuse my humans :)